Thursday, January 3, 2013

Two bales in a sled

So cold.  You know how I know it's cold out there (besides the furnace coming on often)?  Because the deck goes CRACK.  The cold causes the wood on the deck to shift and you hear the loud crack and think "wow, must be freezing out there!"  Well, it was.  This morning it was 5 degrees F.  Sheep are up to two bales now, and that's where they will stay for now.  So cold, but, am still doing my walks with the dogs.  Need to keep that up.  Good exercise for us all.

Last night Ginger my old kitty was not doing well.  She had been sick, and vomited her dinner up just after finishing it.  When that happens, she gets way out of sorts and will go to her water dish and just yowl so loud- like she doesn't know what to do, or maybe she is in pain.  Finally after about an hour she settled down in her cat bed next to me, and relaxed.  I think she is in pain, that her gut hurts her.  I don't know what I can do for her.  It saddens me so to see her be like this.  Who knows how much longer I will have her, but I will do my damnedest to see her be comfortable and feel loved.

Sheep were funny yesterday.  I fed them hay, then their grain.  When they finished the grain, they all started up the hill back to the hay and several of them just ran and kicked up their heels.  This is a good sign, I thought to myself- they should be in good physical shape.  I put their hay in different places every day, to keep the field clean and to force a bit of exercise on them.  If I have any more sheep next year, I doubt I can do that.  Two bales in a sled or wheel barrow is one thing, more than that, I may end up building a fence line feeder.  Would be wise, so if I want to go away, it would be easy for someone else to feed the sheep. 

Well, that's it for now!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Ginger. I also have a little old kitty lady as a family member. She has done a wonderful job of fighting kidney disease for almost two years now, but I can see her starting to decline. My job now is to make her last several weeks even more happy and content. Even if it means she "helps" me with the scarf I am trying to knit.

Valerie