Monday, June 22, 2009

Good days with family

Yesterday ended up very nice indeed. We had a party for my father's birthday and of course, for father's day. We had steaks on the barbie, baked potatoes, and other gourmet delights. We then had ice cream cake, which we had to eat fast, because I left it out too long. That was very good too. It is so nice to be able to get together with your whole family. To me, family is the most important thing. Friends may or may not be there for you, but with family, it's a given. At least in my family. We had good conversations, and my brother lamented that the steers are getting pretty friendly. He notes that they just eat and eat all day. Yep, I reckon that's all they need to do.

I told him I may just buck up and get the fencing delivered, just so we can go ahead with getting the sheep there. He and I agree that all this talk and no action is rather tiresome. The plan is to get Cheviot sheep. They remain a bit wily, and light, and will be good for my needs. Of course for Danny, I will need some knee knockers too. The meat chickens need to go before the sheep come, because they are in the section I would put the sheep in at night. Coyotes are a huge problem in my area, and they have even taken sheep from barn yards at night. They have even taken adult sheep.

So, the lambs I get will have to be in at night. My brother suggested I get a Llama- to live with the sheep. I don't know- I just remember the ones I see are pain to catch up when you want to work the sheep. I also have visions of using my flock as a breeding flock, and selling lambs to like minded folks (dog trainers, who need good sheep). We have enough room, that we could even have enough to use for a trial. Sure would be nice to have a nice group of Cheviots for a trial.... Will have to see on that.

Ginger, my old kitty is very sore. She ate her canned food in bed yesterday- she didn't want to go and get it. Then, last night, she peed in her bed. Great. That got thrown out. This morning, I carried her to her canned food feeding area, which is in the same room as the litter box, so she would remember about the litter box. I may have to get some pain meds for her. She is sore on a front wrist, and her back legs/back are not cool either.

Danny and Lucy have been playing like gang busters lately. This is great. When we were working sheep recently, they just ran and ran together. Lucy instigates the chase game, and then they run to the pond and cool off. It's very nice. When Lucy gets irked about something, Danny backs off immediately, and it quells everything well.

I didn't get a THING done yesterday. I was just painful and tired. Too much driving of late. I did watch that movie "Pursuit of Happyness"- what a great movie. Seriously. Kind of shows you what is important, and how bad things can get, just before they get better. Good one, yes it was.

This week it may rain- imagine that. They say we have had rain now for 18 days of the month. That is just odd, and not to mention, gross. As in filth in my house from the dogs. I have to clean, and I am going to box up books, and other sundry items, so I can re-arrange things. I need a decent book case, so, until then, the books go away.

The "Closer" is on tonight- my FAVORITE show. Can't wait. Well, better get to it.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

No comments: