Monday, June 1, 2009

More on yesterday, and bad morning

I realized that I didn't really go into our sheep time a lot yesterday. Frankly, I was beat when I got home, and just didn't feel very "talkative". Getting old does that to you...

Anyway, Lucy was a good girl for the most part, at one point before that good stuff at the end she got tail waggy, when she was pushing the sheep, and I realized she was just at her limit, so we chilled. I do a fair amount of having her down when she drives, as she flanks ahead too much, so I just have to get that long line out and be done with it. I want her comfy driving, and in the right place, so I won't have to down her so much. Poor thing, she does everything I ask, but I must sound like a drill Sergeant...

There was another young dog who got to meet sheep yesterday- quite a nice job he did. It's so cool that these dogs just innately know what to do- with strange place, strange people, strange handler. You gotta admit, it's pretty cool.

Danny wanted straight into those sheep at first, but then, got around, and was quite fast, but then settled in. He's still pretty short, and that makes it harder. I like his looks already. When everyone else was working, there was Danny, on his chain, just sitting and watching. He's such a good boy. When you call his name, he's just so happy and waggy, but not crazy. He doesn't fight for attention when another dog comes up either. At one point, we took all the dogs down to watch others work, and Danny found some sheep poop to eat- I stopped him, but... this is an important note...


Last night when I got home, Kylie seemed fine. I fed everyone. Then, Kylie started her cough/gagging when she feels like she has to puke. I gave her a Pepcid, which is the drug of choice to relieve her misery. Since she continued, I crated her in the spare room over night, knowing that she would typically be fine, though, she would make lots of noise, and keep me from sleeping. There is simply nothing else that can be done- you have to wait for the Pepcid to work- and it did- by 10:00 she was quiet as a house mouse.

So, I woke up around 4:30, and tried to sleep a bit more. Then, I smelled what I thought was gas from Danny's sheep poo eating. Great Danny....When I finally got up to let the dogs out, I opened the door to the spare room, and it hit me. The smell was from Kylie. I looked in her crate and she was standing in a pond of diarrhea. So, I decided to let everyone else out, and then deal with Kylie. I was not letting her walk through the house...

So, after everyone was back in, I opened her crate door, and carried her to the tub. She was covered in the stuff. It was on her back legs and head, and lots on her tail.
So, the bathing started- lots of soap, and lots of rinsing. Of course my tub has been slow to drain, so when it came time to rinse, I used water from the sink, to decrease volume. This worked okay. I dried her and let her outside. Then, I had to tackle that Vari kennel. Carried it outside, and began hosing it. I did a pretty thorough job, I thought...

Then, I took my shower, and cleaned up the bathroom. By now the whole house smells. I then cracked several windows- even though it was only 38 degrees out...

Okay, now it's time to feed the dogs (sans Kylie- she is being with held food for 24 hours). I had washed the bowl that is Lucy's that was in the soiled crate, pretty well, I thought. Anyway, I got every one's food ready, and Kylie didn't want to eat- she lay on the dog bedding in my bedroom. Lucy went in that now cleaned, crate, and ate- or so I thought. No, she didn't- I went in there, and saw that apparently, it's true that dogs smell better than we do, and she definitely was not eating in there. So, I pulled the bowl out and she ate, albeit tentatively. I wonder if the bowl still smelled. Lucy is also having trouble eating hard biscuits, so I need to get her teeth looked at.

Anyway, then I re-washed the bowl, and used vinegar/water to clean the crate of odors again, but I may have to use fantastic when I get home...

I left Kylie crated in that crate- she was hesitant to go in, but dutifully did so. I hope she is okay while I am gone. I thought about leaving her outside, but she sort of freaks when left alone outside, and I just didn't want her being more upset.

So, we shall see what happens when I get home. I don't know exactly what caused this, but remember, she did get into the garbage on Saturday....

No comments: