Thursday, April 29, 2010

Oh Lord Help me

This pasture, er, over grown lot, is going to be the death of me, and that is NOT that much of an exaggeration. Yesterday after work, I purchased a brand new home lite chain saw. I needed more trees cut down/up, and I am out of money to pay others.

I got to the farm, read the instructions, and remained a bit nervous, because I just think chain saws are dangerous. PERIOD. So, I got it filled with fuel, and had it on the ground. It's a left hand pull, and that's not good, because that's the arm I had surgery on. I could not get the thing to pull, without so much tension, it was a waste.

Well, I gave it one last pull, and apparently, pulled it too hard, so the whole thing slipped to the left, and the chain cut through my sneaker/sock and into my toe. The thing was not even running. I took a look later, and with almost surgical precision, the cut ran straight down my toe. It bled a fair bit (soaked through the sneaker).

I then put the da** chain saw back into it's case, and that ended my plans to ever use a chain saw again. I don't have the arm strength anyway (even when healthy) and I just need to keep all body parts where they are.

After that, I grabbed my loppers, and heavy gloves and started on cutting up all the bushes that are growing. I also moved more cut up wood, and generally cut/moved things. I continued for three hours on this. I finally couldn't do anymore, but I made good progress. There are still more downed trees to deal with, but I have to do them at the start of work, so I can heave them over the fence.

Sheep were cute, they actually thought the stuff I was cutting was for them. They began to go to where I had worked previously, and eat the leaves of the bushes.

After I finished, I let Danny and Lucy run along the lane way, and they had a great time. Then we left, and headed straight to Home Depot, and I returned the chain saw. Good riddance.

Today I have a Dr's appointment, and then maybe more work at the farm, or, perhaps pulling up my bed room carpet... That may come when it's hot, so I may work at the farm.

Sheep are doing well, they are eating into over grown places.

Well, that's it for now.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Make sure you don't trim any wild cherry trees and let the sheep eat the leaves. The wilted leaves generate cyanide and will kill animals who eat them.

Dancing shepherdess said...

Hmmm, will have to look and see what a wild cherry tree looks like- and remove anything that I cut down.

My Sons Mum said...

O my god, hows your toe?

Dancing shepherdess said...

Thanks for asking- it's a bit swollen, and sore, but not too bad. I got off easy, I guess.