Monday, April 19, 2010

First day

Well, the tub I bought is going back, joy. It's huge, and a PITA to travel with, but it's just too big for the sheep to be able to dunk down, when it goes lower and get a drink. Chalk it up to delusion. So, TS here I come AGAIN.

When I got to the sheep tonight, I noticed they did not touch the hay. Not a morsel. They were up in the meadow area eating. I decided to start moving some of the wood that was cut up. I got about an hour in, but then my left arm just starting panging. I have a kid coming tomorrow for that.

I worked the sheep. They tried to give Lucy the slip, but I swear, she knew right where they were going.

I then brought them out of their pasture, and worked Danny on them. He was a bit up, and tight at times, but generally good. It was LUCY who caused a wreck. I was done with Danny and went to unhook Lucy, and hook Danny up. Lucy took off to gather the sheep, brought them to me, but they ran past, and up to the barn, none of which is fenced. I don't know what happened, but when they came back, one ewe was limping and MAN was I MAD at Lucy. I flipped the ewe, and saw a slice in the sole of her foot, not too big, but it must hurt- no blood, nothing, just that slice, which could have been there all along. I believe that's what hurts. Who knows. I will check again tomorrow, but before I left, she was walking a bit better, but not 100%. Going to have to go up there tomorrow and see what it could have been.

I have a shearer coming this weekend- and they NEED it. They were puffing a bit after short work- not panting, but hot. I suspect that they haven't been worked much lately, so they are out of shape. When I ran my hand over them, they seemed thin, but it's not like I feel a lot of sheep for their weight, so I could be off. I suppose when they get sheared, I will trim their feet and worm them.

So, even though we had a casualty, and the areas are just not big enough to do what I want, I can still get some good work done and I am 20 mins from home :)

No comments: