Sunday, April 25, 2010

Not a single picture

Saturday was a busy day. Well, let's first talk about Friday. Friday I took the day off of work, and headed out to work the dogs with my friend. It went pretty well, but I am still working to open up Lucy's outruns, which got a bit skimpy, as I haven't done much but drive with her. Interestingly enough, her flanks are quite nice on the drive. Danny did well, but he's still pretty young in the head. We need to work on things like sheep leaving and him actually covering, not running dead into them. That's kind of a critical thing, as in real life, that just will not do, never mind a trial. That's why he won't see a trial field, I think, for a very long time. Oh well. I suppose I deserve it, I got a BC so things would be easier. HA HA HA. Say the sheepdog Gods- you should have stuck with your Kelpies...

Okay, so after working the sheep, I headed home and stopped at the farm to give yet another shot to sfl (sore foot lady). This did not go well. I drove up, got the antibiotics drawn up, fetched the sheep to me, and proceeded to try and flip the sheep- she was having none of it, and my shoulder was not helping. I finally did get her flipped, but had a bear of a time injecting her, I figured I was hitting her shoulder, or God knows what, but after I was done, I figured that THAT was the last shot I was giving her. She better get better on her own.

So, Saturday rolls around and I head to work. After work, I was to meet the shearer and the vet. Lots to do. I had some panels to get a small pen together, so the sheep were ready for the shearer, and I also had to put together 5 extension cords, find a sheet of plywood, and get the girls. The easy part was getting the girls- I used a little corn from the chickens' stash, and in they went.

When the shearer got there, he set up (he had a type of clipper that has the motor NOT on the clippers, but on a stand he uses (like they use out west on big flocks). He chatted as he worked, and boy did they need this. Afterward, they were all shaking their skin a bit, and scratching, like they had not been able to in a long time. The shearer looked at sfl's foot, and said keep using Pen.

The vet showed up a bit later (he's an old friend, actually, one of my first bosses), and we caught sfl, he gave her a new kind of antibiotic (and two more doses for me to give), which is good for this sort of thing, and he trimmed her foot. She seemed less sore after the foot trim.

With that, I picked up everything, and headed home, dropped the dogs off and then to the market, etc.

Then I went home and rested, for the rest of the day. I am just beat. I need another b12 shot, and I need to get the work in that pasture done.

Oh, yes, I never got one single picture of the shearing, because when I locked the sheep up I was also locked in the pasture, and my camera was in the car!!! DUH.

Today, I go and buy a small chain saw, and some minerals for the sheep, and then who knows, but if it's raining hard, I won't be cutting anything.

No comments: