Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lucy has arrived

The other day, the first day I would work the sheep, I brought Lucy into the pasture. There is a trail up the hill on the right, and a trail along the fence on the left.

I go in there with Lucy and the sheep bolt up the hill, and keep going. I walk up to the level spot, see that they are gone.. They have gone down the hill, along the fence and pulled a loop-de-loo back to the gate. I walk down the hill about 1/3 into the pasture and shush Lucy. She instantly heads up the hill, across the clearing, down the trail to the gate, and waiting sheep, and brings them to my feet. Now, she doesn't know this place from Adam, but BOY did she suss it out fast.

Last night when I had to find the sheep, Lucy amazed me again. There are brambles galore, and saplings- basically it's young forest. I shushed her to get the sheep, and at first she ran out, but didn't see them, and then I gave her a look back. She took that like I was telling her run to the steak lady! She ran out and went wide, and had to run-hop like a gazelle through the brambles to get to them. She got them to me, and when I grabbed the sheep I wanted, she lay down and stay calm while I did what I had to.

When done, we walked down the trail she hopped into the stock tank, shook off and gave a small wag of her tail to me, as we exited the gate.

Lucy is in her element at the farm. This is her calling.

No comments: