Monday, April 19, 2010

My day

So, either my well has tapped into the fountain of youth, the B 12 shots are working, or something along those lines, because I cannot fathom how much more I can get done in a day now. It's like I've been body snatched! And, I do sleep well at night. All good stuff.

On Sunday, the sheep were coming. The sheep are coming the sheep are coming!!! I slept a bit fitfully Sat night, as I was worried about over sleeping. I got up, made the coffee, did some laundry, dishes, and then loaded Lucy and Danny into the car for our trip north.

I used my new GPS, which is a wonderful invention. I got there, and the transport folks were already there. So, I walked in the driveway, and saw someone, and asked pretty please, to use the bathroom. I was greeted by two lovely dogs, one a black and white Border Collie, and one a sable BC mix, I think. She was just gorgeous.

With that done, I ran back outside, where there were conversations about how we were going to load the sheep. The house is on a busy road, and the trailer was too close to the road. They tried to pull toward the sheep barn, but then, the gate to get out was too small. So, after many attempts, he got the trailer turned back around and back to where he initially started, though a little further from the road. Then, we got some combo panels to act as a chute.

Then, her little girl, who is just as cute as can be, took a grain bucket, and shook it, and the sheep followed her right into the trailer. Got little girl out, locked it up, bade our farewells, and headed home.

I stopped at McD's for a sausage biscuit, but got a mcmuffin- do they SOUND alike? I was just starving, so I just ate it, and had a diet coke to go along.

So, I get to the farm before the transporters, and waited a bit. They showed up, and I directed them into the driveway. I then (with their help), got the gate opened (it's still not installed- let's not go there for now!), and put some extra fence up to block their egress past the gate.

Oh, and my brother had a woman and three kids come visiting, so I asked them to please stand up by the house. Maybe it's my horse days, but when loading/unloading animals, it's important to have things as calm as can be. So, they stood up at the house.

The lady asked me if I was ready. Now, I had left Lucy in the car, because I didn't think I would need her. I had my bucket to shake (with rocks, but still, it made a nice noise), and I figured they would just follow me down. Yeah, right. They hopped out of the trailer, and they initially came toward me, but then they saw the grass of my brother's lawn, and were drawn to that like moths to light. So, I shook harder. Nope, nada, and they were moving toward the road. So, I ran to get Lucy. I had her lie down, and then sent her come by, so as to avert them running toward the road.

Well, she did well, but they were a bit spooked. And took off. Around the house. All except one. Who stood in the front yard, looking like a deer in the head lights.

So, the folks near the house were close to the sheep after all. So, Lucy brought me the three, and I lay her down, and let deer in headlights girl see her friends and she rushed over. Thank goodness for flocking in sheep. We then headed down to the pasture, and without too much ado, got them in there. They stopped, turned around, looked, and then headed up the hill. Phew.

So, I then paid the transporters, and decided to head out to get things I needed. I stopped at Agway, but again, they had almost nothing, and what they did have was ridiculously expensive. So, I headed home, dropped Danny off, and went to TS. Bought a 100 gallon Rubbermaid trough, some length of chain, some stuff for electric wire for my brother, hose, barbed wire, etc. Spent more than I wanted, but I needed it all.


I headed back to the farm, filled the tank, got the chain set, threw them a couple flakes of hay, and then headed home for the night.

When I got home, I made left over steak, and had a nice dinner.

The whole day cost me a tank of gas, and I went from 6 am, to evening, and felt fine. It's just weird.

The sheep love their new digs, and I will head up there today, to work them a bit, and make sure everything is kosher. Oh, and maybe I can get someone up there to put the barbed wire up on the bottom outside of the fence, and move that cut up tree conglomeration.

I will be going there every day now, and I am already looking at getting more sheep.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you finally got them. How far from your house to the sheep? Good job getting them off the lawn and into the pasture!

Dancing shepherdess said...

It was probably 300 feet? Once Lucy gathered them to me, it was easy, I was just really worried about the road...

Kathy said...

A 100 gallon water trough for four sheep?? Did I read that right?? I would strongly recommend returning it and getting a smaller one. You're going to be battling algae and crud in one that big with so few sheep. With 20 - 25 sheep I have trouble with a 40 gallon tank.

Just a thought.

Now the fun begins of having your own sheep. Enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

No, I meant how far do you have to drive every day to see the sheep?

Dancing shepherdess said...

It's got a drain plug- we are going to use it for the cows too- that's why so big.