Saturday, January 24, 2009

Our last sheep work

Well, we finally got to work sheep. It had been a very long time. I was prepared this time with my smart wool socks, toe warmers and layers upon layers. It was 31 degrees, so not too cold, but I don't really want to get any more frost bite. Seriously. By the way, those smart wool socks? GET SOME!!!!!!!!! I have never had my feet feel that comfortable in any setting (I got the medium cusion). I was perfectly comfy cosy the whole time. I wish I knew about these earlier.

I worked only on a few outruns/lifts, because the snow is a bit treacherous still. Some of it is high drifts, and some crusty, and some icy. A real mix. Lucy did well. Coming straight in on her lifts, and nice, calm fetches- she also downed when I asked.

We worked on the whole flock for a bit. I have some videos, just like I said I would ;)

This first video is when we first got there, and had to get them out of the pen. You will note that the pen is rather small, and a lot of sheep came out of there ;)
Lucy is very comfortable with this now.




Then, at one point, I just had to get a video of Lucy who, when we were taking a break was just jonesing to see what was going on waaaay down the field...



Then, we pulled some sheep out of a corner. I started working on this not long ago, because Lucy needed to feel comfortable getting in, and around, even when she had to squish in there. It has worked. You will note that after Lucy gets them out, she doubles back to cover, because the draw is up the field, where they were headed. Smart dog.



This last clip is Lucy working a larger group. Lucy LOVES to walk up on sheep- and that's what she will revert to when she thinks I am not watching. Lucy likes to feel her dominion over sheep. I don't know how to put this in slow motion, but I wish I could- I did it on my computer, and watching her turn each sheep, is something of beauty. I am proud of my girl.



Oh, wait! I forgot the NEATEST thing. I was at the bottom of the field, and send Lucy to fetch the sheep- they were in the shed. I was videotaping, but IDIOT me, wasn't even focusing on them, anyway, she ran out, went into the pen, and into the shed, and brought them out and down the field to me. This was seriously cool.

2 comments:

BCxFour said...

I LOVE THE VIDS! Yes, it was video weekend!

I am so glad your feetsies were nice and warm. Wool socks kick butt eh?

The music in the last video of Lucy 'walking up' on the sheep was PERFECT!!!

Dancing shepherdess said...

Thanks! Glad you liked 'em! I liked that music too... Yes, those smart wool socks ROCK MY WORLD!

Now, with snow forecasted for this week, I am feeling that there won't be any real sheep work for another month. I guess I save gas money that way...