Monday, January 31, 2011

I tried, but couldn't come up with a title for this post... The shame is that it really needs one, but maybe, after I finish, I can try again...

Yesterday, I met my friend at John's farm to treat the sheep. First thing we had to do was get them in the barn. John suggested that I could do that myself, by just walking toward them. That worked for about 40%, but then, they went back. Then, John suggested he could do it. That worked for about 80% and then they went back. Then, it was time to get Lucy. John said he wanted to see it anyway.

So, I sent Lucy to the left around them, but they were all standing like defense tackles on a football team. Lucy had to grip a couple, and then they cleared out and went in the barn nicely.

After we had our stuff ready, my friend and I went into the barn. Now, this was a bigger area than I would have liked... But, we got started. Lucy was to push them into a corner, and I would grab, my friend would treat and chalk and then be done. Well, except for the little issue of these sheep not being dog broke, and feral, pretty much, to people.... Lucy was getting hit from all sides- and I felt very bad when she would down for me and then get hit. Every time she got hit, she would un-leash a can of whoop-a** on that sheep- but not more than was needed to remind it that she was boss. Lucy does not take kindly to sheep coming at her. After a while, I decided that it was best for her to be out of the barn, to remove one variable.

My friend and I continued, and actually had to take several breaks, because we were so exhausted and hot. Yes, hot. It was so hard. I would grab sheep by the wool, and they would power forward and I would have to circle with them and get them to the wall. I actually got a blister from holding on these guys. It was hard work. HARD work. At one point, when things were real tough, Lucy leaped over the 4 ft high plywood gate (which was a foot off the ground) and into the fray. She desperately wanted to help.

When we finally finished, we pulled ourselves out of there, and the sheep were let out to eat their hay.

Today, I am about cooked. Feel like I was a tackle in a football game.

Lucy. What can I say about her. I have absolutely no doubt that my little girl would die protecting me, and/or herself from any animal we work. She has grit to spare. When I think about how the sheep were hitting her from all sides, and she never quit, or ran away- she faced and went out anyone who came at her, or us. I am almost speechless about it.

Last night, as she lay cuddled up next to me, a big heavy sigh. I had a deep feeling of knowing that she is indeed, my once in a life time dog. The dog who would die doing my bidding.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the heart of a kelpie ......<3

Unknown said...

what a great partner you have!

Dancing shepherdess said...

Thanks guys. I am very lucky. She wasn't tired or sore at all after that.