Sunday, January 9, 2011

Yesterday, I got home from work to find the heat not working again. So, this is the fourth or fifth time I had to call the tech and get him to come. I was last on list, so it was a long time.

In the meantime, I went up to the farm, and had to park at the end of the driveway, as it was not plowed yet. I saw a trailer up by the gate to the steer paddock, and also saw the two steers having a great time running around. It was the day they needed to get loaded up to go to the butcher.

So, since no one was doing anything but watching, I got Lucy, put her on a long line, and we flushed them out. I just can't let her go- she will get kicked, I just know it, but she does have awfully nice bites on their heads, and she got them turned but then they would just run around me and I gave up. Finally, I put Lucy away, and my brother called them with grain... He had tried that earlier, but no go.

So, finally, we did get one in the trailer, but he hopped back into the gated area we have. I quickly shut the gate on him. Then, he simply leaned back and from a stand still, jumped the 4.5 foot tall gate out of the barrier area and was walking in the yard. My brother was worried about cars, and cattle, so he yelled for me to get Lucy. By then the thing was running along the fence line of the paddock. I got down the road, caught up with my brother, who told me that the steer had jumped back in the paddock. I kid you not. I could not believe it.

So, since my toes were officially frozen, I headed home, but stopped at John's to help him do chores- feed sheep, let horses in, that sort of thing. Then, I got home and no heat until around 6:00.

I took a hot shower, and then bed early. But before I drifted off, I called my brother to find out if he got them in the trailer, and he had, with the help of his friend. Good news!

Today I treat the sheep, with Danny's help. He needs the practice. Lucy is a pro already. I have made a nice pancake breakfast with wonderful coffee, but I am still pretty darn tired... Need more coffee!!!

No comments: