Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When I got to the farm yesterday, there was still a bit of hay on the ground that they were munching, and that is exactly what I was hoping for. The sheep handled the weather fine. This area that they are in is very good for keeping them in the sun, and protected from the wind in the north and west. I was especially happy to see that the water line did not freeze :)) We put some heat tape on it, but this recent cold snap was worse than my idea of cold....

I have learned one thing for SURE. I will not lamb in this weather. It makes no sense- not with temps like this. I would MUCH rather have lambs delivered in temperate weather, with grass to eat, than locked up in a pneumonia producing barn, with hay.... So, I plan to breed late this year, to have lambs in April. I have also decided to increase the flock by a good number, so I can always have fresh sheep, and keep aside the breeders. Since more land is being cleared, we should have more than enough grass.
Last important thing is finding good affordable hay....

Looking forward to working the dogs again, and getting to new places to work them. That is a priority this year, new places, and BIG fields. Danny is ready to stretch out, and so is Lucy. So, that's it. With each day of January that disappears, life is getting better ;)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Sometimes I wish that blogs had a like button too.

I like the idea of getting out to more new places to work your dogs. It is something that I need to do with my youngster too.