Friday, January 28, 2011

So, the storm that came only left us with a couple of inches. That is VERY good. We had some over freezing days, so we have a wee bit of melting going on. The sheep are well.

Dogs seem to have wound down and are not okay with not working sheep, but, when they are out of the pen and I am feeding, you can almost see the drool in their eyes ;) We will get there.


I have something I want to mention, and I want to preface it by saying, I am not here to judge anyone. Goodness knows, I am not perfect, and no one else is either.

It's this business of musical dogs. Border Collies change hands, and transfer well, I am told, and I have seen it happen. They are slaves to their work. If you have work, they will do it. That is a virtue of this breed. But, that said, they are dogs too. They are used to their place in the pack, and they surely must have some sort of bond with their owners, no?


Again, remember, I am not judging! But, it seems to me, some people change dogs with the same regularity as say, changing the oil in the car. What's worse, is some people have dogs for years, and then send them away, and replace them, like the oil filter. Some of this is to be expected, in a sport like ISDS herding, you are not in it to "also ran" you really want a chance to top everyone. But, what about the older dogs? Why must they be sold/traded for a newer model? I know, good retirement homes and all. Can only have so many dogs and all. But, what's really important here? Perhaps people who do this should not keep any dogs in the home, just simply have a string that someone else maintains, and you get to train and run. The person who maintains them keeps their lives solid, and constant, and they get to live their lives in the same well loved pack. Karin, who has sled dogs does this. She has a geriatric dog yard. Her dogs stay, and she is no slouch of a competitor, and has LOTS of dogs.


Kelpies differ from Border Collies in their loyalty. Lucy loves everyone, but really only has eyes for me. I would love it if she could work with others, but if I am still around, it's not happening. Kelpies are a true Ozzie- True Blue loyal. That's why some people who are used to Border Collies and their slavish-ness, end up not keeping them, because they simply won't take the same kind of treatment. Border Collies are their own worst enemy that way.


I guess I am just a sap. I doubt it will change though...


Well, that's it for now :)

1 comment:

~ Janis said...

I see alot of trade-ins of older dogs (all different breeds) for younger models and I don't condone it.
However, with that said, I would REALLY love to have an older model of a dog who already knows how to work cows/sheep and would enjoy retirement being my constant companion at all my different jobs.
I enjoyed the Kelpie info.
Love your blog.
We also got all the snow you were suppose to get.
Come vist the herd and meet Mavis, the "un cowdog."
www.tailgait.blogspot.com