Sunday, September 20, 2009

Crash and Burn

Yup. That's what happened. Surprised? No, not really, well, maybe a little.

I left for the trial mid afternoon on Friday. I then drove two extra exits, as in I missed my exit, on 91. Great. That added 45 extra miles to my trip.

Got to the Natook lodge- very nice. Not cheap, but nice. Then, to bed. Only ate 1/2 an egg sandwich, and a Babe Ruth candy bar all day. No vending machines, so I said to heck with it, just hitting the sheets.

Could not sleep- my mind was going 90 mph. Ended up falling asleep at about 2, and had to get up at 5.

Got to the field, when someone says that some place is out of the way, they mean it. Beautiful area, right on a river.

So, Lucy and I were in the middle of the running order. I sent her to the left, beautiful outrun/lift. Then they ran on the fetch, so she ran. Then, a mess at the post, and I retired. She was just wired for sound.

Second run that day, I had run her in the fields, and threw her Frisbee and got her a bit tired. I also handled her differently- was very on her. It was again, a beautiful outrun/lift, fetch was eh, drive top shelf. Pen, well, they would not go in, ran for the exhaust, Lucy zipped them, and one split off, and we were dq'd.

Third run this morning, sent her like the other runs, to the left. Again, beautiful outrun/lift. Then, she pushed them on the fetch, would not lay down, I downed her at the post, gave her one chance to engage her brain, and then she zipped, and we retired.

Phew, glad that the trial wasn't that expensive. I got a blue ribbon for my effort, and I find that pretty ironic.

Lucy was just completely wild. Those sheep bring it out, but her head was clearly not in it- except for her outrun/lift. She got 20/10 all three days. If we had retired before the fetch, we would have had lots more points ;)

I left the trial site around 10:00 am today, glad to be home. Last trial for a long long time. Good thing.

Danny was great. Slept in his crate in the car, and was so good at the trial. He's a sweetie, that's for sure.

Well, that's the up date for now. Have to accomplish some things.

No comments: