Thursday, September 20, 2012

Using the tools you have before you

I mentioned earlier about the lambs, and having wormed them, with one still being a bit pale.  I have been checking them all every day, and the littlest one is still paler than I would like.  I drove out to the local (not that local) large animal vet with a mixed dropping sample to see what I should do next.

When I walked in there, there were a few women getting some stuff at the counter, and in the reception area I saw a bunch of kittens for adoptions.  Oh goodness were they cute.  There were some black ones, a black and white and a beautiful little tiger.  I did not handle them, but adored them from afar.  A child, probably one of the vet's kids, picked up the tiger and I walked up to see him/her, and noticed they eyes were goopy and the ears not clean, so thought better of it- don't want to bring that home.  So calm they were.  My sort of kitties.  Anyway, my turn came and they just took the sample, my phone number and that was it.  They did not charge me before I left, though I do know it will be $28.00, but it was nice to do business this way for once.

I was not home for an hour when a vet from the practice called with the results.  Presence of Strongyles  sp (this is the barber pole worm genera) and Coccidia.  BOOM! that's it.  That makes total sense.  Now, as he told me, all animals harbor Coccidia, but lambs are way more susceptible to it and signs are diarrhea (the lambs have dirty butts) weakness, dehydration and death.   The vet and I talked on the phone and he gave me instructions as to dose of Ivermectin (re-dose them heavily) and Corid, the anti-Coccidial, which they have at Agway.  I called Agway, and they have it.  So, today I worm all the lambs again and start the first of five days of anti coccidial.   The vet mentioned it is common in wet places, etc., but my sheep are out on pasture and are moved regularly.  This Coccidia could have come from where the lambs originated, but who knows.  I screwed up and will not let the sun set on a dirty butt again!  I will also check the color of the lambs regularly, because that horrible barber pole worm just sucks the life right out of them, and the only sign that I see is paleness.  You can even detect it by their ear color.  I also am getting good at feeling for it- seeing how much fight a lamb puts up, or doesn't put up...

I am going to move them to a new pasture as well, this should make things better.  Sheep.  Always something new to learn!

1 comment:

Billy said...

We think this happened to a lamb that we lost recently, as well as to another lamb in a pasture that we help to take care of. It is hard to know what to do at times, and sometimes it takes a hard loss to change our plan of action and as you say, use the tools before you. Good job. Love your post about the morning sky.