Friday, September 24, 2010

Yes, they do

Besides your comment Carolyn, I was told the same thing; that cattle do mourn the loss of their own. This puts the whole idea of mass slaughtering in a new light to me. I will wrestle with this for a long time.

Worked the dogs yesterday, better than the day before Danny was well in the pressure where he was going to bust, but I gave him a down and he took it. That's very good Danny! Sheep are a bit spooked still. When I fetch them to me, with either Danny or Lucy tied on a post well behind me, they snort like Deer responding to a predator. This whole dead Steer thing sent them for a loop, OR, maybe they have spotted Coyotes... I don't know. But, I want to get the barn yard set up soon. I want to be able to bring them close to the barn before it gets cold, and when I am feeding hay. Right now they are still eating grass, and I give them some corn at night - spoiling them, I know, but I want my sheep a good weight going into winter.

Am running Lucy and maybe Danny at an AHBA trial this weekend. Should be interesting. I have never run a dog in one of these. Danny will do a baby class, and Lucy, probably advanced. We will see... I will save my nerves for when we get there!

Steers seem happy in the barn, although they did get out somewhere and plop their plops in my sheep area, so I shored up some spots where they might have gotten out. Now, I know the meaning of s*it kickers- you step in it, and then spend a lot of time trying to kick it off!

That's it for now.

No comments: