Saturday, September 4, 2010

Lucy, Danny, and trials

Lucy was not herself again when I worked her at our old stomping grounds. First off, when we get there she pants, I used to think, with anticipation. Enough so that I have to cool her off. Then, when I worked her, we got a nice shed, but she would not down unless I really yelled. Then, when I was helping my friend with outruns and his dog, so Lucy did some too, she just moved slow again, she runs, but her heart ain't in it. It's just so starkly different from her normal, but, I am beginning to think that in my attempts to screw her down tight for the trial field, I have taken a bit away from her, a bit of her heart. Maybe she is playing me, maybe she doesn't feel well, but I see a difference. And, when she was bringing the sheep to me on the fetch, and doing very nicely, she still would not lay down. Also, when it was time to leave, she literally ran to the car and put her paws on the door- that is something she has never done- she really wanted to leave.

So, I think it's time to realize that Lucy was meant to be a sheepdog, not a *trial* dog. Not in the sense of snappy response to my commands. Oh, I've no doubt we could force the issue, but it ain't worth it to me. Because I see her when she helps me with chores, and retrieving loose sheep, that THAT is where her heart is. She has all the innate instinct and ability (and more) than say, Danny, and MANY other dogs, but she isn't cut out for the brass tacks of trial training. I got it Lucy, I do. You are still #1. Still have a place in my bed at night, will still be my chore, and demo dog, and you will always be my best dog, I just think I will focus on working Danny on the tight stuff we need, because Danny actually likes it. I don't believe in forcing something down the throat of a dog.

Danny is going away again to sheep camp later this month. He needs his left side flanks worked on, and I can't get my sheep to be useful for that. He has been there before, so I am sure he will be happy. I will miss him, but I think Danny has the potential to be a very good trial dog, maybe not a GREAT trial dog, but one that represents well, and I want to fix his issues before they are ingrained any more.

I have also decided to start looking for another dog to trial with. I always wanted two to trial, and well, it's time. It will be a BC, so, if anyone knows of anything that they think is the cat's meow, in terms of breeding, or the like, let me know.

Today I will seed the pasture, and maybe just maybe work the dogs a a bit. It depends on my energy level.

Well, that's it for now. I hope all who are trialing this weekend do well!

No comments: