Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Found sheep!

I have been searching for good, healthy wool sheep. I don't really like hair sheep, even though there is savings in not having to shear them. But, mainly I have found sheep that just didn't fit the bill for many reasons. Until now. I found a closed flock of mixed commercial sheep. Ile de France, Fresian, Dorset mixes. No hoof rot in flock and clear of nasties like sore mouth, etc.

I am going to go look at/get some on the weekend. I need something besides my runny, no challenge what so ever Border Leicester girls, who I do like (except for #23). I may breed them this fall, and see what I get. Besides getting more sheep, I plan to fence in the area around the barn, and make a chute up to it. Then, we are set. I can keep groups separate as needed, and if I need to have my sheep in the barn, I can.

It has been really hot here this week. I have been under the weather, and on antibiotics, in addition to just being wiped out from everything. I think slowly, once I get healthier, and rested, I will be much happier. Planning another two day lesson with Danny boy later this month too. That will be great.

I am so proud of how they both did at the demos, and especially Lucy, lifting those sheep off the fence, where they were plastered with such calm intent and steadiness. I think she is just great. I love Lucy, I truly do. Danny will be just as good some day, I hope. Right now, we are taking it slow and allowing him to grow a bit in confidence and steadiness. He is such a nice dog. I really am lucky.

I am happy that fall is arriving; I really need a change of season, as it renews my spirit. Time to make apple pies, go leaf peeping and maybe take a hay ride.

Maybe, just maybe schedule that fun day at the farm.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

When you love your dog, that is one of the best feeling ever.