Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mourning Steers?

After work yesterday, I went to the farm. It was a darn sight warmer than it has been, and our sheep work was shorter, and not as good... But, some days are good, some not. Today better be good :)

When I got to the farm, my brother was over helping his friend chain up the dead steer. The hole was already dug. My brother told me that the other steers stayed with this one all night/day...

So, as they drug the dead steer to it's grave site, the other's started getting very agitated. They were running forth and back to the place where he had died, and one got up close to the back hoe. We had to shoo them away. At one point, the Hereford/Angus cross got very upset, and came up to the dirt pile and started ramming his head into it, and striking- like a very angry bull. It was a sight.

Finally, the job was done, and those two steers lay down right next to the grave site. Admittedly, I don't know Bovines that well, but this really sort of amazed me.

After that was done, I got the water tank moved to the barn, went to Agway for another mineral lick and some molasses for the steers, and came back, and then we set up a pen for the steers.

They had a very stressful day, so I was not sure how successful my brother would be at getting them in the barn, but he did. So, that is where they will stay for now. Either until they are butchered, or until we get grass back, whichever comes first.

I have to do most of the work at the farm because my brother can't do any lifting, but I hope he CAN get the post holes dug for the barnyard fencing.....

Today, work sheep again.

1 comment:

BCxFour said...

cattle do mourn for each other when they pass.