Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11, a NY view

I have never gotten over 9/11. I still cry when I hear the song "Where were you when the world stopped turning", or "NY state of mind". Or, any myriad of songs.

That day, I was at work, and had walked into the main office, and the secretary told me that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. I was shocked, and couldn't believe it. I was instantly worried about my brother, who is a PO in the city. I didn't know if he was at work or not. Then, we heard another plane hit the other tower. We were told that there were televisions set up in the Faculty Commons, so we could keep informed. I got there, and like the song says, I DID feel alone in a crowded room. I was in shock, I think. Then we heard about the other planes.

I remember driving to a friend's house that night, and seeing a woman crying hysterically as she drove by. We were all crying- for weeks. I had nightmares about Bin Laden. I was afraid of planes flying over head.

The magnitude of this tragedy is not something our country has ever had to deal with (Pearl Harbor came close). We were not at war. These people went to their jobs that day, and boarded the planes, with absolutely no clue that they were in the last minutes of their lives.

I met one of the people who died, just about a week before- a guy who worked in the towers, in the finance field. He gave me his card. I still have it.

All those firemen, and rescue people, just gone. Gone for what?

Today as I was driving to to work, the song "Where were you..." came on the radio, JUST as a guy came riding his bike past me with a GIANT American flag. I was instantly proud. Today is Patriot's day. I have seen some flags, but I have seen a LOT of head lights on, as were mine.

WE MUST NEVER FORGET, and we must cherish the memories, and be faithful to them. These people were innocents. I am so sorry, I know you wanted to have your lives. We will NEVER forget that they were taken from you.

No comments: