Sunday, September 19, 2010

Wonderful weather, nursery finals, etc.

What wonderful weather we are having. Let's see, I worked the dogs with my friend on Friday. It was great. Danny did very nice outruns, and even self corrected when he was a few steps short on his come by side. I am now starting to work on flanks on the fetch, so we can have actual steering, should we need it ;)

Lucy was back to happy, normal girl- which makes me VERY happy. I had Danny do the sorting and he was very good.

I didn't work the dogs yesterday, wanted one day off, but I did get the hay manger (with the help of my nephew) into the general vicinity I wanted it. It's very heavy, so I am glad that job is done.

Yesterday was good for one big reason- I got my copy of Tony Parson's "The Kelpie" in the mail from Australia!!! Over 600 pages. It is GREAT, and it will take me quite a long time to get through it. It has everything from the history of the breed, to training, to comparing BC/Kelpie, trialing, you name it.

This morning I awoke with a headache AGAIN. I almost didn't go work the dogs, but after some coffee, I was able to get out there.

I only worked each dog for like 10 mins. Danny is getting very good on his walk up, and starting to show some eye, and force, and I am liking that a lot. Sheep are very settled when Danny works them.

The field is looking better- growth, I think from the seed I sewed (is that how you say it?!) a couple weeks ago. Sheep look a bit fat even!

Been watching the nursery finals. Seems like tough sheep, but I would expect that at a national level competition. This isn't just your average every day trial. The sheep will sort out the dogs. Dogs who may look very shiny and spectacular, may not, and dogs who you didn't think had much special, will stand out, because they have the grit and determination to get it done. There is no telling where any dog will fall, because when it comes down to dog versus sheep in a fortitude contest, there is nothing the handler can do. It's up to the dog. Being over faced for most of the dogs is pretty much expected. So far, it appears that Alasdair is in the lead with Coll, his Nap son.

I would love to see an upset tomorrow, but I doubt we will... Here's hoping though....

Well, that's it for now, going to watch the results....