Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sleep, sheep

We got about an inch and a half of rain yesterday. That is more than greatly appreciated. I was ready to call it a day after work yesterday, because the night before I didn't sleep, but Heaven forbid Danny doesn't get his work in ;)

So, I headed up to the farm, and when I walked up to the pasture, I see my sheep spread out grazing, which is a great sight. I hope all this rain continues to help bring life out of the ashes, as it were. We are fore casted to get more rain tomorrow, so maybe the deficit will be made up :)

I worked Danny on his left flank/outrun, and I think we are getting it. He needs to be behind me, and I need to take pressure off him, these things are what I did with Lucy, and it worked. Why I never tried with Danny, is beyond me... Anyway, we never work for very long, but the work we do is high expectations, so we get something out of it each session.

Before I left, I dumped the water trough and refilled, and as I waited for it to refill, I noted that the sheep did not come down looking for grain. They prefer good grass to hay and grain. That's great. I have been calculating what it will cost me to keep these guys in hay over the winter, and it won't be cheap.

So, that leads me to my next topic. Sheep.

Basically, a big bale, 50 lbs, will feed one sheep a week. So, you figure between $3.00-$5.00 per bale, and then calculate, it is not chump change. I NEVER thought I would EVER be in the position to be turning down sheep!!! I will be going to look at Cheviots today, and then I have to make my decision. How many to over winter.

I have to be practical. PLUS I STILL need to get that fencing in near the barn....

No comments: