Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Aaaahh, more normal

Slowly, things are creeping back to normal. That's what a normal time at work, and sleep get you :)

I have been working the dogs every day as I had said I would, and am finding myself flailing teaching Danny inside flanks. I am trying to get him to come to my side, or near me, and then flank, but he's stuck thinking we are done. So, I am really happy that we have another two day lesson and having Danny stay for sheep camp next week. My field is too uneven to teach all the driving nuances. But, we are working corners, and he's getting more comfy going in on the left.

Lucy worked very nicely yesterday. I had her driving and we had to work on inside flanks because the darn sheep always want to fetch to me. She likes heading, so inside flanks on fetchy sheep are right up her alley.

On the way home from working the sheep yesterday, I stopped by the farm of a guy I know. He's got 80 or so un-dogged Border Cheviots. I had only stopped by to say hello, but then he started walking to the pasture, and I followed, with Lucy.... Now, he only has three stand electric fence and the bottom of the large hill is right on a busy road. Scary.... So, I send Lucy to the left. As she came around the top, they all got together, and turned to face her and walked up on her. These are moments when you are absolutely helpless to do much, except for maybe words of encouragement. So, I said "get them up Lucy". There was a couple seconds of me just seeing sheep's butts, but then, they all turned. Of course, then they ran, so Lucy had to head them after they ran by me. Lucy did not want to call off for some reason, but I finally got her to.

After that, we sat and talked a bit, and then the farmer showed me his big hay fields in the back. I thought that they would be a nice place for a trial... on these sheep....

Before I left, we arranged that I would buy some ewe lambs from him. Am excited about that. These are not people, or dog broke, so it will be interesting working them.

Got home, and chilled a bit, and was actually able to watch Little People Big World, and a bit of the Closer before drifting off to sleep, with Lucy, quite content, right next to me.

No comments: