Sunday, September 26, 2010

Lucy excels, almost 100%....

I went to an AHBA trial with Lucy. I had considered running Danny, but opted out, because he is still so mentally young, and after I saw the size of the area we would work in, I was glad I decided against it. We entered the HTAD top level- not sure what that is called. It was an HTAD III course. It consisted of a gather, turn at the post, a y chute, a turn a drive up/through panels with a left turn, and then back across arena to pen, and then, once out of pen, a ribbon pull, and then a re-pen.

I was going to send Lucy away, because we were told there is a draw to the right of me, but Lucy set up left, so I sent her that way. She had a decent outrun, and a bit fast on her lift- like none- but the set out (grain) area was not very far from fence, so not much space to settle. Anyway, she got them to me, and was taking her stops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We turned the post, and got to the Y chute. I had to really handle her, to put enough pressure, and cover on the sheep, so they would take it. So, we did that. Then, a turn and have her drive them through the panels. Dang it if she didn't take every single flank and stop. Seriously? I was so happy...

Then, we head over to the pen, got them in nicely, and then the ribbon pull. The sheep were two ewes and three lambs. I pulled the ribbon and was just walking on air when I went to let them sheep into the re-pen and then, STUPIDLY (smacks forehead) let Lucy into the re-pen where she caused a ruckus, and well, we were unceremoniously dq'd. That hurt, just a little, because all of her work was just very good. It was a lot of listening for my wee girl, and she seemed pretty happy to do it.

We got another kick at the can in the afternoon. This time, the sheep were not so happy to cooperate. They had been run in the morning and were "running" now.... So, we had a good gather, and turn and then the Y chute. There was one wether in there who apparently took issue with another dog at one point and thinks he's all that. He was at the end of the group. He was not moving. He was grazing, daring Lucy to try anything. You know that look, oh, I don't see you, but I am not scared of you, so go away look. So, I KNEW I could not flank Lucy off. She stood there and locked onto him and we had a stalemate for a second. Finally, that spit head went for Lucy and she nailed him and then back to her spot. Then, he was a little more nervous, but still not wanting to go into that chute. So, I gave Lucy a come and they moved a foot toward the chute opening. Then, an away, and another, and so forth. Lucy was literally taking one step. She never busted in, she never lost it. I was rather amazed at my dog, and proud, if I do say so myself. We finally got them through the Y chute, and I flanked her to cover, and she did not slice- that would be a given on a younger Lucy, after such an exchange....

I get to the pen, and there is NO way they are penning. Just nuts these sheep were. So, We finally got the- you can move on direction from the judge, and gratefully, we did. Then, onto the ribbon pull. The sheep did not want to be near me, and the Barbado mix wether really did not trust me... he was also the one wearing the ribbon. So, I used all my guile and ignored him until I got the ribbon pulled! HA! Take that!

Lucy was so beat after her endeavors, that after the pull, when the judge said two mins to me, I looked at Lucy and she had plopped down and was rolling on her back. Oh Lord Lucy, have some couth!

We then set them up for the re-pen and got it, and Lucy did not go in :)

This was a qualifying run, and even though the score was lower than the first trial, she worked her butt of for me, and I am so proud of her.

It was a very long day, we got home late, and Lucy slept like a rock. Today, watching the finals, and then sheep stuff- going to get hay in the manger, grain from Agway, and general check of their health. I worry since we lost that steer. I need to clean, but I may have to take a day off of work to get that done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Proud of you and your Lucy!!