Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Finals, sheep, steers.....

I have been following the finals, and I have to say that the sheep are PRIMO for such an event. Nothing is given to the dogs (except the pen in some cases yesterday, from what Jenny Glen wrote). There is a lot of pressure, and the sheep scoff at wide flanking dogs. They just sit and watch them do their little soliloquy, and ignore them, until the dogs come right up and walk straight on. It's definitely a skill the winners will need. That, and very good handling- to cover pressures- in advance of the sheep getting there, because we all know, sheep that are galloping with the sight of relief in the horizon, aren't stopped all that easily, or cleanly....

I would like to have been able to go down, but I suppose I will have to wait for the web cast this weekend. Looking forward to that! I may even get some munchies, and invite some friends over to enjoy!

Was thinking of running Lucy in an AHBA trial, but I am going to sit it out. I am just sick of Lucy not listening to me. I have no doubt that since I have a dog that listens to me both at home and away now, that not having that makes it hard. Lucy has her own agenda a lot of the time, and it makes me tense. Other times, she is calm and listening well, so who the heck knows what goes on in her head.

Worked Danny on walk ups and his left flanks yesterday, we will keep working on those left flanks until the tension goes bye bye forever ;) My sheep are good for walk ups, flanks and driving, but outruns- fogetaboutit. Have to wait to get more sheep for that. They just come running too fast as soon as they know a dog is coming. Jerks.

I am hoping we can get the post holes dug this week/weekend for the barn yard... I want to get all that done asap. The sheep look good, but in time, they will need to start their hay eating and I also want them to be able to get in the barn when really bad weather hits, which it will. They are eating grass up there, though, I have no idea what kind...I don't think it's the fescue, but I see grass hanging out of their mouths.... I hear after the first frost, the fescue is okay to eat...

We are going to put the steers in the barn 24/7 now. The field is down to nothing, and it's time for them to gain weight. Also, there is something in that field that is poisonous, as we lost a steer the other day (found it dead). I was *really* upset.

So, today we put the steers in the barn, hopefully they will go willingly, or we may have to break out Lucy....

No comments: