Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Confirmation

So, last night I headed up to my home town for my nephew's Catholic confirmation. It was set to start at 5:00, and I, and the throngs of others got in around ten of five, and sat, and talked. It was set in a gymnasium. The choir was doing background singing, under the direction of the leader, who played an acoustic guitar. We were all having a pretty decent time, until Mr. choir leader got a bee in his bonnet, and said in a very loud voice, while looking over in my direction (I was sort of swinging to the beat- it was good music)" EVEN THOUGH WE ARE IN A GYMNASIUM, WE (the choir) SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SING OVER YOU" Well, I NEVER ;) He was just rude. We all looked around and mumbled to each other what a jerk. Then, I turned behind me to my sister, and said that I felt like Judge Judy does toward a lazy, no good, stupid male defendant. Just contempt. Okay, so that was that part.

Then, we go on to the service. It was cool because the Bishop actually interviewed my nephew. Neat.

As the service droned on (it was about two hours), my mind began to wander. One of the officiants last name was "Curley" and all I could think about was the movie "City Slickers".

Then, the Bishop came forward with his beautiful crook/staff. I mean it was SO NICE. I had half a mind to ask him where he got it, as I wanted one just like it. Then, I thought it would be nice to have THAT crook, I mean, it has to be consecrated, right?

The only other thing I heard, was the word "lamb", during the long service.

Then, at the end, I saw this man walk by. I recognized him, but didn't know from where. My mother knew who he was. He was my Elementary school principal, Mr. Lewis!
OH MY!!! I haven't seen him since, well, several decades. So, I walked up to him, and told him who I was, and he had a blank look on his face, and I said, "Well, you might not remember me, I never got in any trouble..."

After the service, we headed out to my sister's for a small get together, and then home.

I slept fitfully last night, and had lots of sleep walking going on. Then, this morning when I went to open a can of dog food, my stupid can opener handle broke right off. Great. Piece of junk.

So, that's it for now.

No comments: