Sunday, February 8, 2009

Song of the Coyote

I keep forgetting to mention this... The first night/early morning of having Mr. Rab(b)? here, I was out on the deck with him, and the Coyotes let loose this cacophony of yips/barks/howls. It was a veritable city of Coyotes. There had to me 15-20. Rab responded by sitting on my feet and listening, probably what kind of lion's den I had brought him in to!

Then, the next morning, at 4:15, the Coyotes woke me up- from a dead slumber. I had contacted the land owners where I believe the Coyotes are about keeping sheep, and got an excuse about the Coyote problem, so I couldn't use that place. Well, I was proven wrong. This is mating season for the critters, and they are clearly busy.

Glad I don't have any lambs in the vicinity. Coyotes in the north east are rather large, and will regularly take down yearling deer, a lamb is not a big deal- just a nice snack. I heard a someone shooting a rifle yesterday, and didn't hear the Coyotes today- maybe someone is handling them...

On the pup front- he slept 7 hours last night. What a good boy. Another warm day out there, so lots of outside time. I may even take him into the yard to explore.

1 comment:

Life With Dogs said...

We have Coyotes here, but I have yet to experience a group serenade...