Friday, February 13, 2009

Lessons for pups

Well, first, I have decided the pup's name was just not fitting him, and I didn't like the way it rolled off my tongue. So, he has a new, official name. I will announce that later in the post...

Anyway, poor lad, he is getting some cans of whoop butt opened on him. Those who know me, know I really don't like dog fights, or anything like it- especially on poor defenseless pups. Yesterday, pup jumped up at Lucy and bit her on the flank one too many times, and she let him have it. Now, I think she went a bit over board. She had him down, and he was screaming, then he got up and away- but she was still aroused, and he was behind me, stuck against the door, because I didn't want him running- so she could continue. Well, he didn't like that either. Anyway, I chastised Lucy, and checked the boy- he was fine, a bit wet on the ear, but fine. That was upsetting.

Then, later while we were in the yard, apparently, he got over this, and he was near Lucy and I don't know what caused her to do this- maybe he pulled a repeat performance? But, she pinned him again, but this time it was seemingly less force, but scared him. He slowly got up and slunk away to another part of the yard, but he was over his concern quickly. I suppose pups need to learn deference young. He does seem to approach dogs very confidently, and maybe he needs to learn not to. I don't know, it ain't fun for me.

I haven't had tons of experience raising wee pups with adult dogs. Is this sort of thing normal? What is NOT normal, wrt adults chastising pups? What is too much? He is not afraid of Lucy at all at this point. My concern with Lucy is that she has caused damage to another of my adult dogs. Typically when she fights, she is really in it to win it, if you know what I mean. Are there things I can do to help this work a bit better? I can't let anything happen to little Dan.

Yep, that's the name I have been stuck on. Dan. He's a Danny boy for sure.

1 comment:

BCxFour said...

I would say to let them be for now. She is correcting him and he needs it. Never leave them unsupervised and be there to break it up if Lucy takes it over the edge. You are the ultimate leader - and they both must defer to you. (as you already know). Most of this is normal and it sounds horrendous when there is yelping, screaming and what sounds like pain. But remember - the puppy's main defense is NOISE - screaming for help for the bigger dog to protect them - so the screaming is normal. When should you be worried? You will know if it is going to far - make sure you have a water bottle handly to spray her and get her attention off Danny (LOVE THE NAME!) and to remind her she is allowed to correct him at your pleasure - not hers. Gosh I hope that made sense. I doubt it if I told you something you didnt already know...