Thursday, December 18, 2008

This is my dog....



After spending lots of time working in crusty snow, and cold temperatures, and then sitting in a cold car. Yes, Lucy was tired, sore and needed her beauty rest.

When I worked her before this, I didn't know that the snow was hard/crusty at all. All I noticed was that she had a funny Hackney gait, and seemed to carefully place her feet. Then, at the end of our work, I saw the blood on her feet. OUCH. She never limped, and never seemed bothered by it, but I suspect she will maybe be a wee bit sore later. We worked doing lots of boring stuff, I won't go into detail- except for one thing...

I had separated out the lambs and gave them some feed. When I was finished working the others, I decided to put the lambs back with the others I had worked. So, I had Lucy fetch them through the gate, and dang it- they ran into the shed I forgot to shut the gate to. So, I sent Lucy from the far pasture to get them out. I didn't know what exactly would happen because a) they are not dog broke b) this is a very small area and the opening to the shed is blocked by a hay manger- which means there are about 3 feet? to maneuver? Anyway, I don't know exact amounts, but it means that when you send your dog in, they sheep inevitably bottle up behind that manger, and the dog has to give them room to get out, while still getting them out- if you know what I mean ;) So, anyway, I sent her from the far paddock, she knew exactly what I wanted- headed in, and I see the initial 1-2 second bottleneck, and then all the lambs came out, no muss no fuss :) Good job Lucy!!! That's the sort of dog I want. :)

Later I watched some other dogs work some unbroke sheep and goats. This was extremely cool to watch. These dogs had to navigate LGD's, and a Llama, all of whom were not happy about a strange black and white dog entering their pasture. The older of the two BCs, who I have always loved was a complete star. Man- if I could have one just like her... She got run at by the aforementioned creatures, and she got challenged by the goats- never missed a step. Seriously- that's what a sheepdog is incarnate. It was great. During all this, my dogs stayed in the car- where it was a tad bit chilly. When I got home and finished chores, Lucy took up her position in the bed, and that's her pic.

It was a great time. Well worth the chilly toes!

1 comment:

Darci said...

Santa needs to bring Lucy a sweater for Christmas! That dog was built for hot weather. Burrr, making me cold to think about it.
Maybe some boots would make a nice stocking stuffer too. LOL