Thursday, December 11, 2008

Going to EXPLODE

We haven't worked sheep in what seems like EONS. Seriously, I think Lucy is falling into a depression. Sometimes I find her just sitting there. Not looking at anything, just looking gloomy. The weather this week was bad, and now it's REALLY bad. Looking to get a decent accumulation between today and tomorrow. Today, when I walked out on my front step, with my hands full- one hand with my coffee travel mug, and the other with the first of several loads of stuff to go to the Salvation Army, I landed on a skating rink- that's what it felt like. I literally had to crouch down and lower my center of gravity, so I didn't go WHOOSH, and land on my considerable butt. Well, nothing was broken, and the roads were okay, but it is only going to get worse because of dropping temps. Some schools were closed today.

Back to Lucy- she knows that the house is not a play area- well, not with me anyway. She will wrestle with Mr. Chips, but with me, she waits for me to initiate. The last time we played Frisbee she yelped on her way back to me- see, she isn't the most graceful thing when playing this game. So, I really don't want to play it much, if Lucy gets hurt and can't work sheep, well, I think I would die- not her, but I would!

When I think of this weather, I think of the poor horses up the road from me. COUNTLESS calls to the SPCA from several different people, yet NOTHING is done. They have DIRT to eat. I have only ever seen tiny bits of hay out there, and 99% of the time they are just standing in the rain, heads held low, sometimes looking longingly at the cruddy little barn that is on the property. It absolutely GALLS me to see horses left with no hay, or grazing. Rain rot? OF COURSE they have it. The had a run in shed, but all the walls rotted off, and it is held in place by some 2x4s.

I spent so many years taking care of animals- horses mainly, and never EVER did I put horses out in a paddock until after I put some hay out there. It is horsemanship 101.
I even offered to help these people out for no charge. Foot care? Are you KIDDING? Oh, I better get off this topic, I am too tweaked.

So, back to sheep, hopefully in the next few days. Maybe it's good I am not driving anywhere for now- save money for Christmas.....

No comments: