Saturday, December 27, 2008

Reflections on 2008, and looking ahead to 2009

They say as you get older, time seems to fly. I have to say I agree with that. I believe it was John Lennon who said "Life is what happens when you are making other plans". Truer words have not been spoken.

2008 was a good year. I started it with high hopes for my Lucy on the trial scene. High hopes, that is, and severe trepidation. Not being one who loves competition, I got through it, somewhat unscathed. Lucy placed in most trials she entered, and she even took a second place (she was tied, but broke the tie on better outwork). Some trials went better than others. Some got the better of me, and left me a wailing heap. Lucy stuck by me though. Never quit, never took over. She showed me that it isn't necessarily HOW you do the job, it's getting it done that matters.

As time went on though, I realized that we needed more time as a team, and to grow a bit. And, most importantly, why we do this. Because a) she was born to, and b) it is the only thing that I 100% look forward to, and enjoy in life. Something about being out in that field, asking your dog to do things that they may not have done- but some how, they know how to already. It's that feeling of accomplishment when you have finished working, that look in your dog's eye, as they wait, and look up at you at the field gate. I don't know, it's not something I can accurately put down on "paper", but it's there.

Besides sheep work, things were pretty good, except for one very very sad thing. I lost my Cori. Cori was my almost 15 year old Beagle Springer mix. Cori was a "no trouble" dog. She loved people- especially kids. She was kind to everyone and everything. I don't know what made her so sick, but in the end, the kindest thing to do was let her go. It was the hardest, but most worthy thing I have ever done- to be with her, on her final journey. It is still hard to talk about, but every single life ends the same way, and if we can make that passing just a bit more loving.... it's what makes us human, right? I miss you Cori. I will never forget you, and will see you again.

On to 2009. I don't have any huge plans, other than to just enjoy each day, attend clinics with my sheepdogs, and try and make this world a little better by example- you know, give a little, help a lot, and look at the positive side.

Well, that's my reflections, and my aspirations- what are yours?

1 comment:

Darci said...

My aspirations??... To have Christmas with your family next year!LOL
They sound like a warm and loving bunch of folks. Your a lucky girl!
Other than that? To get at least one dog competitive and on the trial field this year!