Monday, December 29, 2008

That's my girl

Worked sheep (thank GOD). It could have been better weather, but we went ahead. There were sections of deep snow- which, me being creative, made good use of. It was funny, when we first went into the field, they all came running- thinking that I was going to feed them- then they slammed on the breaks- I can just see the bubble over their heads saying "OH CRAP, not THEM again". So, I penned the K's, and put the lambs in the smaller paddock. Then I got the K's out and we worked that group of about 6? I don't know- a passel anyway. The lambs in that group were wonky. They just ran. It wasn't Lucy's fault, they just were very freaked (maybe the steak Lucy had earlier was still on her breath?). I finally took a couple of the lambs out, and the group (ewes and lambs) stayed much calmer. I want to note that the mere presence of a dog in pen with them made one lamb leap very close to me- the dog was not moving- and she was not "on" them. Yikes. They need a chill pill.

So, I decided to utilize that deep snow- it was about up to their knees, and the sheep were avoiding it. So, I had Lucy pick up the sheep where it was just grass, and then she had to push them through the snow. They really considered their options, but Lucy never hesitated, and we didn't have any problems. We also worked on that business where they are standing along their other friends, and had her get between them/the fence, and she needed to go calmly between the fence, but speed up to cover the heads- and turn pretty much 90 degrees. Happy to say, she did- every time. I have always said Kelpies are latent learners- I have to remember that.

Later it was time to move the lambs back into the big pasture. When I was adjusting the gates, I wasn't watching Lucy. I looked up to see her walking in on these 10 lambs with such calmness and authority. I think she knew that I needed a bit of help to keep them OFF me. Well, probably not- she was just working that authoritative attitude she has been cultivating. It was so nice though. Just like a big girl. Well, I called her back, and we got them put into the small pen- I had left the K's we were working at the bottom of the hill. I then sent Lucy for those girls. We got them into the small paddock, and they *really* didn't want to be in there. They did that classic sheep thing when they want to leave where you put them- they went about 10 feet in, all turned around, and positively didn't notice the dog. They just kept looking for their friends. I called Lucy to me, and to walk up. I have never seen her look mad, but I think this is what it looks like. She was very tight, leaning forward, moving up on them and ready for the charge- which never came. They then just decided it wasn't worth it, and turned and left.


Lucy is really beginning to "get" that we are out here doing something for real. It is so gratifying after all the work I have put in to becoming a team with her. Just extraordinarily cool.

Later, when I was chatting with my friend, Lucy had the zoomies- yeah, just like a pup- tail tucked, head down, smile on her face, wiggling- just extremely happy. I can't help but think that our earlier work helped with her mood. What a great little lass she is- happy as can be, serious as a heart attack when needed.

2 comments:

Darci said...

There comes a time, when all good dogs,.....just get better!

Dancing shepherdess said...

Yeah...... It is something very special.