Sunday, November 9, 2008

Working on stuff we should

I worked Lucy today. I maintained my new calm methods that I achieved after working with Derek. Lucy was a bit heavy on the bit today, but we kept it together. I worked a group of Cotswolds, and then we broke and sat. She was doing some very nice driving. Anyway, then we watched another dog work- I have to say "we", because I am in the field watching, and Lucy is standing on the picnic table watching ;) She needs to be able to see the action, and then she's happy.

After a bit I took the rest of the sheep out of the pen, put the first group of Cotswolds/one Katadin in an adjoining paddock, and left three in the shed/pen. That left me with a small group to work, and also some nice heavy draws, to help us work on pulling out of corners.

So, we started out just doing basic work, and then I let the ladies run up to the far left corner. I sent her in to get them, and she did a beautiful job. No problems. Of course I made her stay in that corner and watch the sheep leave (another Derek piece of advice) and then, they headed to the small shed/pen friends. Again, we pulled them off there. Again I stopped her at the stop that she pulled them away from. Okay, enough of that- let's go get those heavy Cotswolds.

So, we go in the paddock, and they are at this small chute area to a small round pen. So, they run in there, and I have Lucy fetch them out- no problemo- they don't want to be in there anyway :) So, then they run to the corner, opposite their friends in the big field. I sent Lucy away to get them, and what a difference!!!!!
Lucy took her away, stayed tight to the fence, walked up calmly, and they all moved out so nice- that was even with them all staring at her, and really putting the pressure on. That's very good. So, I downed her after they were out. Then I had her walk up to them as they still wanted back to their friends. So, I pushed Lucy too hard- rushed her, and she rushed at them- BAD Julie. It is effective for like, a millisecond, but then it just irritates the sheep (and me). So, we re-set it up and I have Lucy walk up to them, and lay her down when she hits their "bubble", and then they just calmly turn and walk away. This is what we have been working on- teaching her that they WILL turn if she gives them time. I don't blame her for this at ALL, because I never really knew how important it was, and always made her push push push. Now she is really starting to settle in, and be comfortable for those seconds when the pressure is really on.

I think she is about 80% fixed on this issue, and we have her downs sussed, so we are moving along nicely. We are working only on things we need to, and not just working to work sheep. It has changed so much. I have a plan out there, and there just is no free-lancing allowed.

Let this post be a lesson to everyone. Don't just go out and work dogs, train dogs. Big difference.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Julie-

Can you elaborate on the following a little bit more.

--I sent her in to get them, and she did a beautiful job. No problems. Of course I made her stay in that corner and watch the sheep leave (another Derek piece of advice) and then, they headed to the small shed/pen friends. Again, we pulled them off there. Again I stopped her at the stop that she pulled them away from.--

I am just trying to get an understanding of why Derek wants you to down her and watch the sheep leave.

Thanks,
Kathy