Monday, November 10, 2008

We're taught, but do we learn?

I thought I had learned a lot in the past couple of years. Well, in a way, that's true. I learned the steps, but not the dance. Of course I am talking about sheepdog training.

I have spent countless hours working my lass on sheep. Making sure her flanks are square, making sure her fetch is not too pushy. Making sure her outruns are correct, her lifts right, and basically teaching her the steps. To be sure we have come a long way, and I am right proud of her. Until now though, I never felt that it had come together. Always seeing that one mis-step- crud, now I have to fix THAT. I would also see some wonderful things in what she did, and I would be elated, only to then later see something else go wrong. Always the little details, always the "issues". But, we plodded along. I guess that's how all newbies are. Sort of like learning the alphabet and sentence structure along with grammar, before we can write prose. Boring to be sure, but very important. By the way, grammar and sentence structure were never my strong points... Hmmm- food for thought ;)

Anyway, so I went to this clinic given by Derek Scrimgeour recently. Derek pretty much echoed everything my extremely superb friend/trainer had said, which just drove home how important that grammar/sentence structure is... But, what I got from that clinic that really changed me, was so profound in it's simplicity, that I feel a blanket has been removed from my eyes, that I can now truly see the dance for the steps.

Derek made clear that the only things you care about are geometry and sheep's stomachs. Not flanks, not pushiness, not problems with taking downs, nothing but the aforementioned. It simply ISN'T about the dog being wrong, or right, it's about the job being wrong or right. See, dogs are born with all they need- at least they should be. We simply need to teach them what the rules are- not that they are breaking them. We should start out right from the start, and then it's smooth sailing. Basically like teaching the steps of a dance to a 6 year old, and then, once they have the steps down, but the time they hit 7, since they know the important parts, they are able to do the dance with more than aplomb.

I came away with this feeling of calmness, of Zen if you will. I don't worry about what my dog does right, or wrong, I concentrate on training the right. Not hoping the right will occur, but insisting. And, I don't get upset, or in a tizzy, because from the start, I expect the right things to occur; it's downright odd.

I walk out there on the field with my lass. I see the sheep far in the distance. I send her, and as she comes around, I sometimes whistle for a stop, sometimes not, but whatever I ask, she gives- and I expect it. That's probably the most profound difference in my attitude- I expect her to be right, and she is, not the other way around. If I need to remind her that she took steps on her down, I don't get upset, I simply remind her, calmly what is expected.

When we are out there working it is all very calm. No more do I scream, or rush at her. If she is honestly ignoring me, I calmly walk up and hold her collar and remind her to listen- CALMLY. I don't yell. Sometimes dogs can have their own agendas, and it is true you need to remind them that their agenda is YOUR agenda. But, don't be punitive, just be clear.

I also don't work her as long as I used to. I simply work on what we need to improve, and then, leave it at that. This results in a super keen dog, who is not bored with repetition, and who is only improving on the weak areas. All dogs have those weak areas. Why practice what you do well, when what you REALLY need practice on is the difficult stuff.


When we are finished working, I don't feel elated, or upset, or anything. I feel like we achieved what we set out to, and on the whole we are better than we were the day before- EVEN IF she makes a mistake or two. It's the whole dance, and not the steps.
It feels like a rite of passage, a milestone, what ever you call it, we are different, and I feel so much more mature in this game of sheep herding, it's truly astonishing.

1 comment:

Darci said...

I know how you feel. Isnt it a wonderful feeling?!