Sunday, November 23, 2008

Down time

Today we didn't work any ovines. Just worked in the house, hit the market and chilled. Made a nice dinner for myself, with leftovers for the dogs. I did get a call from a friend who is concerned about her dog being afraid of the teeter totter in agility class. Apparently the trainer who is running the class believes it appropriate to drag said dog over the teeter totter and force him to face his fears. Yeah, THAT will work. Now she has a dog who hides under chairs in the room- won't do agility at all. Great. Nice job "trainer". When a dog is afraid of something you need to gradually work up to the dog accepting this new object in his life. Lucy was afraid of the teeter at first (she ran off the end when it was in the air). I simply employed my tried and true techniques for teaching her that the teeter is not scary, and that all good things come from it. This was AFTER I took the pressure off, and allowed her to realize that agility was still fun, and we could ignore that scary teeter. This dog could very well be soured to agility now. My suggestion to her was to ix nay on the teeter for now, and if the trainer tries to bully her, then leave the class. I will teach her what she needs in agility. Sheesh.

Had a bad night last night. I saw a tumor on my old kitty's gum- right where her upper canine sits when the mouth is closed on her lower jaw. Majority of these are cancerous, and I just cannot.think.of.losing.my.Ginger. So, I cried for about an hour, then pulled myself together. Will call the vet tomorrow. Wish I could get a vet to come here- she hates the car ride so much. Maybe I will try that.

Ginger is my heart and soul. Crying just typing this. Well, no sense in borrowing trouble, will get to the bottom of it this week...

1 comment:

Darci said...

I hope Ginger will be alright, modern medicine can do wonders these days.