Saturday, November 22, 2008

A cooooooool day

Okay, what is happening?! It was SIXTEEN degrees this morning when I left to go work sheep. Some times I wish my car didn't have an outside thermometer built in. It's sort of nice not knowing how COLD it is when you are heading to a place that's normally cooler than your own....

Today I gave Lucy a break from the ewes that are a bit vexing to her. They are a bit different from that she is used to, and that means training her on them can be fraught with stops and starts- as she figures them out. In other words, I just wanted to take away one difficulty for her. I also brought out my penny bottle- to reinforce my "you will take the downs" mode.

Lucy worked very very well. I was especially happy with how I had her fetch the length of the field, she brought them up, took the downs I asked, we turned the imaginary post, and she drove them a good distance away- the longest ever- almost out of hearing range, and I was able to ask for and get good clean driving flanks. Wow. That is so nice to see.

Later I worked with my friend. We had her pull of a person, which we haven't done in a bit. The first time I sent her was PERFECT. No, not exaggerating, just simply 100% correct, and without me needing to whistle once. So, I moved a bit, and sent her again- this time not so good. She didn't come straight on to them, and then they couldn't get where she wanted them to go- she flanked side to side. That wasn't good at all Ms Lucy! But, it goes back to her concern I think of the holding out person. We just simply have to work me downing her nice and deep at the top and not allowing any flanking as she comes in, period. Sort of like the down requirements. Lucy is not afraid of the sheep- anyone who has seen her deal with a charging sheep, or raring to get in with ornery sheep know that- she simply has to build up the technique of using a bit more eye, and less side to side motion. Derek said this in our critique, and I have been working on it. It is coming along well, just need more work.

Then, as we chatted, the sheep ran up the field to the top of the hill where their buddies are. The easy way to send is to the left, as there is lots of room to come in, and then scoop off the fence, and bring to me. Well, upon instruction, I sent her the hard way- away to me. The sheep were all near the gate where their friends were ensconced safely away. Lucy took off with good speed/confidence, stayed along the fence, and as she got closer, the sheep all turned to look at her. Now, she is coming up a hill, sheep are staring and she has to move right into them, along the fence, stay calm as they move off to the left, cover, but not over flank, and bring them to me calmly. That's just what she did. Wow. My how she has matured. It pretty well made my day.

On the way home it took some time to warm up a bit. I stopped and got a sandwich for my meal for the day, and am still trying to get completely warm. It may take until tomorrow, I am afraid.

So, in closing, it was a very cooool day- both in temperature and sheep work :)

No comments: