Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sunday, day of eating, I mean, rest...



This morning I awoke well refreshed after a pretty good night of sleep. I say "pretty well" because Ginger has been snoring really loudly lately, and it wakes me up. I have to give her a nudge, so she will stop.

Anyway, I hit the grocery store, dropped off my purchases, and headed out to watch more agility. I wasn't there too awful long, but they sent me home with a bunch of eggs, and a giant pan of apple crisp. I LOVE apple crisp.

When I got home, I made my what is turning out to be, signature Sunday meal- steak, potato, veggie. Then I had some apple crisp for desert. Oooooh, it's so good!

Oh, one interesting thing- when I got home from the trial, I heard a commotion in the ivy bed in my front yard. I look over, and there is a hawk with something in it's clutches. I ran in and got my point and shoot camera, and here are a few pics.
I for the LIFE of me can't identify it. It is not a very small hawk (so that rules out things like the Sharp Shinned, or Cooper's) and it is basically slate blue in the wing, crown of the head (rules out the Red Tailed). I took my Field Biology class with none other than Heinz Meng, who was named the Audubon Man of the Year- he is internationally recognized for single handedly re-introducing the Peregrine Falcon back to the North East after having almost lost it completely due to the use of DDT. He knows more than any other person I know about Falcons and Accipiters. He also does Raptor re-hab, and for one class we were brought along on a release. Cool eh?

Anyway, if you can identify this bird, please let me know. I know they are bad, but I didn't want to scare him into releasing his hard earned prey (a red squirrel). As it was, when the darn thing finally died (I think he squished it, and at one point bit it's head), he flew off with it.

No comments: