Sunday, November 16, 2008

Has anyone seen my Zen?

Remember that recent post where I wrote about feeling just so relaxed, and in control when working Lucy, rather Zen-like? Well, I think I lost it ;) Yesterday we ran in a small arena trial. I ran Lucy in it last year, and even though we did better this year, I felt worse about how we did. Interestingly enough, we took 2nd place last year, and this year, no placements. Guess that illustrates how the scoring doesn't matter eh?!

We had to take the sheep out of the pen to start. When I opened that gate the sheep looked absolutely terrified- if sheep can look that way! Lucy tried to get them off the back fence, but they were having none of it. Lucy grabbed one who came at her, and we eventually got them out of the pen. This tensed her up immediately, and she completely forgot her downs (if you have seen her work lately, you will know that she has been doing stupendously with downs/flanks, and just calm work). Her little pupils were dilated. That's a bad thing, in case you didn't know... So, we got through the small course fine- all points for everything, but we timed out at the pen (even though we got them all in just fine). But, honestly, I don't care about our score, I care that my dog and I just lost it in there.

If people knew how well things were going with us, until that trial, both at clinics, and lessons, they would see that I was rather shocked. Shocked that my dog was behaving this way. I think that's why my voice raised so much- how the HECK is she not taking a down?

Lucy feels the pressure, and she takes cues from me. I have seen her work so well, it just doesn't compute. Of course, then the folks who watch her at a trial like this, and see just the stress/tension stuff, conclude that my dog needs basic training... Lucy doesn't need basic training, Lucy needs one thing- that is, to know that no matter how tense I, or she gets, the rules still apply. You can't "train" that like you would a flank, or even a down, you have to change the way you (read - I), behave when things go kerfluey.

In speaking to some of my mentors last night, they told me that it's just something we go through, and that I have to change me, more than anything.

I know this- I won't be entering any more arena style courses anymore. We just aren't mentally set up for it, and we will stick with our usual field trials.

No comments: