Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mid week update

Middle of the week, and things are going pretty well. Let's see... I worked Lucy and Danny again, and Lucy did pretty well, but she was having trouble with these sheep and driving, so instead of yammering at her, I put her on a line, and went with her. That really did the trick. She just needed a little help :)

Danny is doing well. We have been working on outruns, and his right is very good, but we have to do lots of left sides to open him up a bit. He's tight on that side.

I also have to work on him lifting sheep, because we had to spend so much time getting him to not bust INTO sheep, now when he is deep on his outrun, and comes in on his lift he's a little wishy washy about exactly what to do. I have no doubt he will get it with more practice, as he did a few pretty well, but Danny is Danny, and we go at his pace :) Danny gets hot pretty fast when working, not clinically over-heated, but hot from all that brain work, so we take breaks pretty often. He runs out so fast on his outrun, and he is a little guy :)

The other day, the sheep got out. What a pain. I was going to take ONE day off and not go out there, as my brother was around. I get a call saying that they are out. I hop in the car with Lucy and head out there lickety split.

When we got there, I was told they were behind the barn. I walk to the barn, and look who is IN the barn? The sheep. Yes. Standing there. They minute they saw/heard me, they walked out of the barn, trotted down the hill, through the gate and back into the pasture, while Lucy and I stood there looking rather dumb. Do I have trained sheep or what? LOL!

Later this week I have a guy coming to help finish up the work (make the chute to the barn, and other things), and then I can honestly take a small break. It's been extremely tiring.

I have been thinking about the trials, and I am sort of dreading them. I am not sure Lucy will do well... But, it's been a while, we shall see.

No comments: