Friday, May 14, 2010

Herding sheep, and COWS?

It's a long story, so I will like Rose on Golden Girls, start from the top.

Yesterday, I took some sorely needed time off. I have just needed to decompress from this whole sheep pasture thing, and I could not think of a better way to do so, then to work sheep.

I worked Lucy first, and she seemed better- more energy, and less heavy panting. She also ran a lot faster. She was having trouble driving the sheep. Heavy sheep are not easy to drive for Lucy. She has this BAD habit of what I call "windshield washing" where she wears side to side, and that just does NOT move the sheep forward. She desperately wants to move them, but her lack of eye in that situation isn't helping. What I did was put a line on her and go along. For some reason with me there, she stops wearing... Suppose at a trial they will let me help her? NOT. Poor Lucy, poor me!

Danny did well. He has really begun to mature, just working now. His left outrun is still too tight. I will take a wee bit tighter than his most favorite side EVER, but this is too tight, and will rattle the sheep. So, we work on it. I stop him if he's tight, and chastise him, but this just basically makes him go faster once I release him... Got to get this solved... As his last outrun I sent him on the right, basically his little treat for working on the icky left. It was very good, nothing wrong anywhere. He's my boy! He comes in thoughtfully, and he even sat there, which I think happens when he's tired, but partially, he's trying to learn to push sheep, which I took a bit out of him when he was younger, so we've got to build that.

After that, I left and stopped at the farm to check my sheep. As soon as they saw me they left, talk about giving me a complex. What? You don't like me? The one who gave you your own little peace of Eden? The one who only works you once in a while? Well, I never!

Anyway, my brother suggested I work the sheep in the cow pasture, since they had moved over to the meadow. Okay, will do. Only slight concern was having to get the sheep out of their pasture, into the meadow, then back out a gate, to go through the yard into the cow pasture. Well, best laid plans and all.

As soon as I got the sheep out of their pasture, the steers starting running at them. Lord. So, then the sheep bolted up past the barn (still fenced in) and ran WITH the cows to the cow pasture. Okay, one sheep came back. She's the same ninny who always splits off. So, I walk with she and Lucy to the cow pasture, where I find the other three sheep standing near the water. The cows had dispersed. So, I thought that maybe I could work Lucy for a bit. Riiiight..

Cows came running over again. Okay, enough of this. I don't want the sheep, Lucy or me hurt by these big dumb steers. So, I walk my sheep back to their pasture, and lock them in. We must get a gate for that opening. Then I can actually work my sheep. That will happen toute suite!

I then came home, had a sandwich for dinner, and hit the hay. Sheep are looking really good.

No comments: