Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Avian divine intervention

Mondays, ick. When I retire, I think the best part will be when I can wake up on a Monday, and not HAVE to be anywhere. It's the concept that I will be happy to wash down the drain.

Anyway, after work yesterday, I headed up to the farm, and saw that my brother got some high tensile electric up for the steers, so they could now happily eat in the area adjacent to my sheep. This is very good, as they had eaten down where they had been. I then did some picking up of stuff (that never stops on a farm, eh?).

I then went and zip tied the fencing to my gate, and cut off the sharp edges that were loose, as that is just too dangerous. It looks a lot better now.

Then, I decided I should trim feet. The sheep needed it, some more than others. So, I got Lucy and got them brought up to my usual "mess with sheep" place in the pasture, and got set. My friend gave me good techniques, which I had practiced earlier, and it went well. Lucy was good, and stayed calm, and off the sheep. I actually looked like I knew what I was doing... Then came #22. She doesn't like to be messed with, as she is the one who got the nail in her foot. She fought a bit. Lucy came in, to "help", but I had to get after her, because it WASN'T helping. Anyway, I got her done, and let her up, and together, Lucy and I walked down the goat trail (the steep hill on the way to the gate), and we headed out.

When we got home, I ran Lucy and Danny. Lucy is so happy to play, but gets to panting very fast.

I fed, and Lucy did not eat. Just wasn't interested.

This morning a little excitement. I had let the dogs out and I heard some bird noise. LOUD bird noise. I looked and saw a Cardinal female dive bombing Kylie. Well, a fledgling had apparently landed in my back yard and it was screaming for dear life.

I then got the dogs in, even though they weren't finished, and the little thing flew/hopped to the fence line, and sat there. I went out and saw that though very small, he/she was fully feathered, and very scared.

Later I saw the mom and dad on the fence, looking down on it, probably conveying to said fledgling that he/she better get a MOVE on out of there.

I then let the dogs finish their morning constitutional, and didn't see the baby bird again. At first, I thought how dumb to land in my yard, but then I realized, that it wasn't THAT stupid, because there are a glut of cats around, but none in my fenced yard. Oh, with the BIG exception of Mr. Chips, who for some reason I didn't let out this morning (divine intervention I would say).

I am really happy that the baby Cardinal was spared. We don't have nearly enough of them around in the first place.

I then fed the dogs. Lucy, again, would not eat. So I caved and gave her some of that Fresh Pet food, which she ate with gusto. She has to have food with her anti-biotics, so you gotta do what you gotta do.

Lucy isn't ribby, so I think she's okay, but this is just weird. Maybe it IS a false pregnancy.

No comments: