Sunday, November 8, 2009

That'll do Lucy

Yesterday Lucy and I ran at an ASTA trial (Australian Shepherd Trial Association). Asta also happens to have been the name of one of my grandparent's dogs, but I digress.

This was the third year Lucy and I attended this trial, and this was the best weather we have had. I expected to see lots of Aussies, but there were only two. The rest were Border Collies, and we had three Kelpies including Lucy.

I thought that there would be an outrun/lift and fetch for the intermediate and advanced classes, but there was none. Instead, we were treated to things most of us had never done (at least in a trial situation). I was mildly apoplectic at the thought of having to accomplish this...

The first thing we had to do was walk on to the field- not so hard, really. They had let three sheep out of the holding pen, and we had to put them back in another pen. Okay, so that was done easy peasy. There were already another three sheep into where we put them, so now there were six. Then, we had to put the dog in the pen (yikes) and shift three up into the race/chute that was there, and separate the three with a guillotine door. Lucy was PERFECT working in there, she just was calm and I never had to ask more than once for anything. So, we got our three sheep out as directed, and I remembered at the last minute to close the door.

So, then it was have Lucy drive the sheep through a set of panels that had a big log, acting as a jump. Lucy did well, listening, and took my flanks so we actually drove them through with me at a good distance.

Then, we had to take them to the figure eight, and the "posts" were a donkey in a corral and a ram (with breeding harness on) in another pen. In my class we had to stand in a hula hoop, and not move, and direct the dogs to direct the sheep around. This may ostensibly seem easy, but the sheep were very attracted to Mr. Ram, so they would stick (literally) to his pen. For some reason, Lucy and I did this with only a few bobbles (to my memory) and a couple times one sheep headed for the holding pen area, and Lucy just went and got them. No slicing, just good calm, "I'll get that one for you" work.

Then, we had to (while standing in a hula hoop) put the sheep in what's called a trap- basically a chute with the end door closed. Once in, we had to hold them there, until the judge said "okay". We tried for all three, but we managed only to get two in. Lucy's flanks were good here, and that helped keep the sheep calm. So, then on to the drive away panels. It was hard to get them away from that chute and we wasted lots of time- I also got frenetic. I HATE when I get like that. I am so sorry Lucy.

So, we got them into those panels, and time was called. Then, we had to put the sheep away, and we were done.

I have always loved this trial. The folks who put it on are so friendly and nice, and it's a good way to spend a fall day, that is for SURE.

So, in the end, Lucy won her class. She earned some nice $$ to take home, and more respect from me, her hapless handler.

Yes, that will do Lucy. You will ALWAYS do.

3 comments:

BCxFour said...

Congrats on the win!!!

Unknown said...

Way to good. Good work and one heck of a nice dog.

Dancing shepherdess said...

Thanks guys.