Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The road less traveled


It has come to the fork in the road. Which road do I take? Do I take the road well traveled and select a nice Border Collie to work on sheep, or, do I take the road less traveled, and select a nice Kelpie?

Robert Frost
The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh

And, here's the "quote" that is so oft used, and is much more concise:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


You may wonder why I would quote Frost here in a Kelpie diary. Well, it is quite apropos. I have for some time now been looking for a second working dog. It would be nice to have two dogs to work, and now that I have gotten a better feel for what I believe is important in a working dog, and under the tutelage of some stellar mentors, I have begun my search. There are so many well bred Border Collies out there, and I have met some seriously "good people". I've no doubt whatsoever, that should I chose a well bred Border Collie, and maintain my learning curve under these stellar trainers, then I would be very successful. The working Border Collie is still by and large well equipped to serve it's master very well both on the trial field, and at the farm. I see this every time I watch them work. Sure, not every dog is destined for greatness, but most are pretty decent dogs. I never tire of watching them work- their finesse, their listening ears most always engaged, and that lovely style. It's just remarkable.

Alas, if it were that easy. Perhaps it is the rebel in me. Maybe it's just my stubborn streak. No, not that. Something has been niggling at me for some time now. Something about the Kelpie. Something about this breed has me well and truly stuffed. I have not seen many Kelpies work. I have only seen in person just a few. I have seen many more on video. I have logged countless hours on the phone speaking with live Kelpie legends. Kelpie breeders that have been breeding Kelpies longer than I have been alive. The conversation is always a good one. I really identify with their goals, their picture of an ideal dog, and basically, I come off the call stoked. Ready to work and be optimistic.

Something about the Kelpie. The way they seem to know what to do, and don't need to be told what and when to do it. What they lack in "style" they more than make up for in getting the job done with as little instruction as necessary. The comparison of the Border Collie and Kelpie, which I used to fall into doing, is pointless. On one hand, I believe that they are very similar, but on the other, I believe they are so different. Of late I have heard people say things that could be considered derogatory toward the Kelpie. My response is this: I have seen all the same "bad" things caused by Border Collies as I have Kelpies. The goal in these sheep dog trials is to get those sheep to me efficiently, and with a cool control. To get them around the course calmly, and without undo help needed. To be able to pen/shed/single with aplomb. It isn't about having a coated blk/white dog doing it with lots of whistles, or a short coated red/tan dog doing it with lots of whistles. It's about getting the work done, and being proud of a job well done.

I have seen Kelpies bust through the top. I have seen BC's bust through the top. I have seen Kelpies unable to lift sheep. I have seen BC's unable to lift sheep. I have seen Kelpies lose it at the pen. I have seen BC's lose it at the pen.
That's just it. In a trial we are tested. We get to see where we are, or where we are not, and we are not there to prove that any dog is better than the next. Humbling? Sure. Good for us? YOU BET.

There aren't many Kelpies (if any on the east coast) trialing in open usbcha trials. Some day, I hope that changes. If it were me and a Kelpie, that would be neat, but honestly, I would applaud anyone who made it there; who took the road less traveled, and not only met the challenge, but surpassed it.

So, in closing, it is finally clear. Kelpies and me will always be synonymous, and someday I do hope we move up through the ranks, and dance the dance. Some day.

No comments: