Thursday, October 30, 2008

Derek Scrimgeour clinic

A whole post devoted to JUST this clinic? You BETCHA! This was singularly the best clinic I have ever been to. I had heard good things, and murmurs of "dangerous ground", but I wanted to see/learn for myself.

I left at about 4 am on Tues to get to the clinic that was to start at 8:00. It rained all morning, but I was ready in my new rain gear. So, I donned my rain suit, and proceeded to watch the other clinic participants learn about dangerous ground. There were several very nice working dogs there, and each had their own "issues". I quite enjoyed seeing the dogs' brains click with his method. When it was my turn, I walked in with some trepidation, being that we were the only non-Border Collies there. Derek was quite a good sport when he noticed Lucy. We worked in the small pen as I was just not confident enough to have a wreck in the bigger field. I worked on Lucy's flanks, and keeping her further off her sheep. Lucy handled it well. Then, we broke for lunch, and had a smashing repast up at the host's home. It was a wonderful thing to be able to remove the wet rain gear and cozy up to the wood stove. It was then that we were able to chat with Derek and his wife (who is just lovely). We were regaled with tales of dogs, people, and just sheepdog work that made us laugh, and really get a feel for this man. He is such a likable bloke, and so wise, you just can't help but want to be there and learn as much as possible from him- whenever possible.

After lunch, the skies cleared. When it was our turn I took Lucy into the bigger field with some very very nice cross bred woolies. These sheep are just perfect for training clinics. Honest, not too light, and settled. They made teaching the dogs just so easy. I went into the field with my water bottle filled with pennies, because by GOD I was not going to have her ignore me, and God forbid zip the sheep. When I walked out there, I had nothing but that bottle, and my whistle. At one point, Lucy flicked her tail, got tight, and I hurled the thing in her direction. This got the point across. She was back into steady mode. Good. So, we worked on the basics- driving, fetching, flanking. On the fetch, Lucy is way too close to her sheep. It is something I never really worked on, because I never knew the importance of having distance equals control- see, profound, but fundamental. When Lucy is too close, she wears back and forth. Derek explained that this unsettles the sheep, and will cause them to thing that either the dog is weak, or is not to be trusted- neither of which we want. So, I worked on keeping her off, by ME taking the sheep from her, and then asking her for a walk up. Always ME in the lead position. By the end of the session, she was better, and I was happy that we had addressed this issue- as I think it is really the only thing holding us up from progressing to as far as I like.

Later that day (evening) we all went out to dinner. It was a nice meal, relaxing, and good company. I quite enjoyed myself. I made a quick exit after a group of us put our tabs together, because I still had to find my hotel. Fortunately enough, it was right off the expressway. I checked in, walked the dogs, and in for some good sleep. Kylie and Lucy slept well, and so did I. In the morning, a complimentary breakfast was delivered to my door- complete with hot toasted bagel/cream cheese, hot (wonderful) coffee, and fruit. I had already put the dogs in the car, so I could sit and enjoy a small breakfast before heading back to the clinic. What a nice touch that breakfast was.

I arrived back at the site and wrapped myself in a multitude of layers, for it was very cold. When it was my turn, Derek told me what he thought of that penny bottle, and that I shouldn't use it. I had my concerns that she would be bad- it was a crutch for me, but he believed that everything would be okay- and it was.

I went back in the field, and worked again on keeping the distance off the sheep. Lucy began to get it. I felt like I was putting a lot of pressure on her, but there simply is no other way to achieve this, and once we get this, the sky is the limit for how far we go.

After our the morning work, we all broke for lunch. Again, it was great food and good warm surroundings. After lunch, it was soon my turn, and I went out there knowing what to work on. Lucy was staying nicely off her sheep, but very very focused and keen, and even got some style going in her moves. The other participants remarked that Lucy looked very good out there. Amazing how a seemingly small detail changes just about everything.

At the end of our turn, I soon had to leave, because I didn't want to drive in the dark. I arrived home early evening, unpacked, and went to bed.

It was a great clinic all the way around. I will be going back to his clinics, for SURE.

Lucy made a good impression, I believe on Derek, and that was gratifying too.


I am stoked to work on what we need to, and keep upping her scope. Thank you Derek, you rock!

PS: I will put up some photos soon of my Lass and I working- when I get time :)

4 comments:

Darci said...

Lucky You! Ive been wanting to go to a clinic of Derek's, and waiting for one to come around here, ....still waiting. Sounds like you and Lucy had a good time and learned some useful things too. I went to my first clinic last January and really enjoyed it. If I could afford it, Id be a clinic junkie!

Dancing shepherdess said...

I know there will be one in Maryland next year- other than that, Wisconsin- too far for me too :) Seriously, he is just great to learn from and pick his brain. He works hard at these clinics, and Lucy looked GOOD out there. That was gratifying. Maybe you need to organize the clinic :)

Laura said...

Glad you had a good experience at the clinic. I went to a clinic with Derek earlier this year and thought it was very good as well, though it was a little difficult for me to put what I learned into practice in the weeks and months following the clinic. I think I need a refresher! I am sure you and Lucy will retain (practically speaking) what you learned a bit better than Taz and I did!

Dancing shepherdess said...

Derek said that the only things to remember are geometry and sheep's stomachs :)