Friday, October 10, 2008

I lack fortitude

Yesterday a woman I know was going to go see her dog that is in for training, same as my dog. She suggested I go and see Lucy. Bad suggestion (see title). So, I show up, and am still open minded about leaving my lass in the very good hands of her trainer.
I then go and hide myself, so I can watch Lucy working for her handler. Lucy does well- she's on the bit, but she is listening, and she is just plain working, no goofiness. I get wistful. I miss working her (well, I have BEEN missing working her, but now I REALLY miss working her. Toward the end of the session, Lucy must have caught wind of me, because she hopped up a bit to catch the whiff of my scent- to her credit she kept working. Then, they came up to me. Lucy slowly walked up, almost pretending not to see me. She got to me, sniffed me, and then rubbed her body along mine, just like a cat greeting it's owner. Then, she lay down next to me. It was all very subdued- not my googly Lucy ;) I then worked Lucy- that was very cool, and reminded me why I am wistful- maybe that's bad?

Our session was just doing basic stuff, but there are some cool things that made me proud of Lucy. At one point we had to get sheep out of the woods, and my trainer had her flank around to get them out. They came out and ran into the field. I asked for a lie down from Lucy, but didn't get it. We walked out of the woods, and over the small crest, here she came with the sheep who thought they might make a break back into the woods, further down the field. Good girl Lucy. You knew what those sheep were thinking. After we had our charges back with us, we worked a bit, just a little, and then stopped. I think we were chatting, and then Lucy booked off running fast- I didn't know what for- a squirrel? It was weird. Silence ensued. Then, out of the woods came three straggler ewes that Lucy remembered, or heard were back there. Now THAT was cool. We now had everyone and it was well done for my lass.

Then I had to begin prepping to leave Lucy there. Please refer to the title if you would like to skip to the chase. Yeah, I lack pluck. I have been very "off" with not having Lucy at home. I miss her at night, when she moans her last moan telling me what a busy day she had, I miss her in the morning, when she lays on my bed and I give her a pat, and she rolls on her back for a belly rub. I miss pretty much everything, and I ESPECIALLY miss working her on sheep. I hemmed and hawed and really gave it the college try. But, in the end, I loaded her up in my car when I left. I SHOULD have left her- she was doing well- and looked very good- settled and focused. It was my lack of fortitude, and that's just the bottom line. I am a wimp.

We got home last night, and Lucy had to re-establish to Kylie that she was "big sis" and Kylie was like "Oh great, the bitch is back". Once they got through that all was fine. It was just the initial greeting. I didn't sleep well last night- probably because I was extremely dehydrated from not drinking anything all day, and eating almost nothing, but I was greatly calmed by feeling my lass at my leg.

God how I love her.

No comments: