Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Tips on saving money

I have instituted a few changes in life style and spending, in an attempt to mitigate the high cost of EVERYTHING. Sometimes I wonder if it would be worth it to get a plot of land, and live off it. Everything is so costly these days. There simply aren't any bills that don't take big hits to your wallet.

Here are a few things I have done that have helped enough to let me breathe a bit easier.

First, I no longer purchase coffee out of the home. The prices just keep going up at the deli I stop at, and last I checked it was $1.75 for a cup of Jo. Doesn't seem like much, but when you calculate that it is a 7 day a week deal, That's $12.25/week, or $49.00/month, and is then $588.00 per year!!! That's no small chunk of change- AND that's for cruddy deli coffee. So, I purchase coffee from the local grocery store, and make it myself.

Second, I travel way less than I used to. Gas has gone down quite a bit, but even so, to fill up is almost $40.00 per tank. If I cut back on the travel, wherein I just go to work and a few errands, I can literally make it almost 2 weeks on one tank. Now, that is quite a boring existence, so I do plan for one trip a week to do something fun (work sheep), so that adds a little cost, but it keeps us all happy, and that's important. So, I have saved probably $20/week, or $80/month, or $960/year. Again, a huge savings.

Third, the animals. I have one dog who needs to eat grain free food. I have tried just about everything, but the only food he does well on is more expensive than I would like. I had put everyone on it, but have decided that since the others do well with a high quality grain included food, they will get that, and my other boy will get what he needs. This saves me about $15/bag, and that's two bags per month, so, $30/month, and $360/year. Of course it isn't all savings, because I have a couple of cats who get some premium cat food, but they don't eat so much ;)

I also shop around for my flea/tick preventative. Entirelypets.com, has a great price on Frontline Plus- fully $5.00/month application cheaper than my vet office. That's seriously good.

Fourth, Electricity. MAN was I over spending on this. I got a bill in September of $195/two months. I about fell over. I generally have a bill no more than $80/two months, even in the summer cooling period. The electric company has raised their rates quite a bit, but still, that's just out of control. So, I instituted several changes.

First, I turned my computer off at night. Then, I kept the fish tank light off at all times. Then, I kept the tv off when I wasn't home. I always was good about leaving lights off, etc. So, imagine my glee, when I got the new bill, and it was $103.00 :) Small changes really helped.

One big change was a new furnace. Now, it was not like I could afford to buy one, but I just couldn't go through oil like I was. So, it's installed and working great. I also learned that the ductwork had separated the crawlspace, so I was pretty much heating the crawlspace, for what I estimate, based on the rust on the duct from sitting on the ground, was a couple of years. My house is so evenly warm now- I BET I will save LOTS of oil by addressing that huge waster of oil.

At the grocery store, I look for sales, and only buy what, and when I need. I may stock up if there is a big sale, but generally, am pretty austere in my list.


I feel like I have done a lot to mitigate my costs for living in this world. I hope that some day I can be a little bit free-er in my spending ways, but until then, I will stay on this track, and continue to look for more ways to save.

No comments: