Monday, October 20, 2008

Miscellaneous

Well, what's been going on? Hmm. Here's some vids of my Lass Lucy. Those who have seen Lucy, at ahem/cough/choke, her last trial, will hopefully be happily surprised that my lass isn't such a trash dog after all. See, I would NEVER trial a dog who didn't at least make be feel that we had a good chance in heck to actually do well.








Now, Lucy may not be a smooth running stylish dog, but what she lacks in style she more than makes up for in go to-it-ness, and just plain pluck and moxie. Who knows when we will trial again- I know it will be a long time, but then, I think the journey is where it's at- not the ribbons- at least not for me. Things that make my heart soar about her are just not the things you earn in trials, like:

Having a recalcitrant ewe hit and grind Lucy into the dirt, and Lucy coming back unfazed and in charge (demonstrated with a fair grip to her nose). This ewe didn't try anything with Lucy after that.

The time that a Scottish Blackface and her flock took off to the exhaust pen (this was practice) and all but one stopped several yards short of the exhaust. One made it to the exhaust. Lucy did what I have been told was all but impossible- she brought that ewe off the fence, and back to me- which might not seem like a big deal, except she brought that ewe PAST her flock and to my feet.

The time that Lucy had fetched some sheep out of the woods, and we worked a small group. When the trainer and I had stopped to chat, Lucy takes off and returns with three straggler ewes brought out from the woods- with absolutely no direction to do it, or how to do it by me.

The time that Lucy was working some cull ewes who were not well. Wouldn't be moved. I was told that "Lucy wouldn't move them" and they did. Grumpily, but they did.

The time that Lucy was sent in after Canada geese and stayed in that pond for almost 45 mins working those geese out- the water was 38 degrees.

I am sure there are more, but you see? These aren't trial stories. They are simply stories of a good dog, just doing good work.

For whatever reason, our trial season didn't end on a good note, but you know? That's okay. She's just one wonderful dog in my book.

Back to other stuff:

This weekend was the NY state sheep and wool festival in Rhinebeck NY. It was chilly in the mornings, but the days were beautiful. It was a time/point trial. Didn't have many handlers there, but everyone pitched in and worked to make it happen. Had lots of questions after the trials, and pretty much everyone who watched truly enjoyed themselves. I sure wish Lucy could have done something- not to compete, but just to work sheep. We'll get there.

This should be a quiet week, with leaf raking and house cleaning. Nothing major planned. That's just the way I like it :)

No comments: