Saturday, October 11, 2008

A great trial, and home with my girl

I went to the Leatherstocking Fall Foliage trial- the first of a three day event. I had heard about this trial, but never attended. Clearly, the glowing descriptions I have heard, were not over stated. On the way there, the absolutely stunning fall foliage- the reds, yellows, browns, it was just heaven. This part of NY state is, to me, just absolutely the prettiest place in the world. The fields are lush and green still, the trees with their leaves at their most beautiful, and the wide open expanses. I just had such a nice drive. As I got near to the site, I saw some very nice trial signs, hand painted I think with the obligatory BC stance. Nice touch I thought. Then, as I got to the site, a place I have been to once before, I was again treated with the splendor of the sweeping hills, well manicured fields, parking areas, and various fall touches, that the managers had put together. I got my chair, set up, and then offered to help out. I helped a bit by running scores, and scribing- in between video taping some runs that is.

The sheep were far different from the last time I was at this field. They weren't pushing to get to the lower left side of the field, and they were very reasonable. This brings up the holding/set out crew. Unbelievable. I have never seen sheep so NOT rattled, so calm, and ready long before they were needed. These folks could not have done a better job- period.

The dogs all had different issues on their runs. At one point on the drive away, several yards from the panels, many dogs had trouble. Current wisdom is that it is a dead zone- dogs just could not hear. The cross drive was quite long, and if you were lucky, you had energetic sheep who when on line just kept truckin', and if you could detect the depth, you were in. Some folks squeaked through, by resetting the sheep, when they were about to go just outside- that was some seriously good handling. It was great fun to watch. Of course, watching super handlers work their super dogs, isn't hard, no, not hard at all.

The food was great. The trial managers just so gracious, and made sure everyone was set with whatever they needed. There was a real calmness in the air at this trial. It was like nothing I had experienced. These folks knew what they came for, and knew how to handle their dogs. The dogs all stepped up to the plate. This is really pretty much a template in my mind, for what a trial should be like.

It was a looong drive. We got home at about 7:00, and I was spent. Lucy was too. Lucy spent some time moaning her comfort to me, and I stroked her soft ears a bit. Lucy is still pretty quiet, I suspect working for a living can make one very tired, especially a suburban wanna be worker ;) I am just glad my lass is home with me, and now I feel like our home is home again.

When I get around to it, I shall post some runs from the trial, but not today I am afraid- too much to do :)

No comments: