Friday, September 5, 2008

A rescue BC, different sheep, heat

I know this blog is about a Kelpie, but I saw a rescue Border Collie working the other day, and I got some video. This dog was quite incredible given he has only been on sheep a couple of times. He is a neat looking dog as well. I tried to embed the video, but apparently it is too long- will try again later. But, suffice to say, he is quite nice. He is sensitive to handler pressure, but NOT to a ewe who faces him up. That's pretty good in my book. Hope he finds a good working home.

ETA: Well, shoot, the vid is too long to embed, so here's the youtube link:
(just copy/paste; clearly I am too dumb to make a link!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N48r6rn3nBs

When we worked sheep this last time, it was HOT. These sheep apparently, either don't like the heat, or aren't adjusted to it. They were very very slow- even on the fetch, to the point of stopping. This is so alien to Lucy. WHAT? the sheep aren't RUNNING to mom?? What to do- how to hurry them along??? There are some good things that come from working sheep like this- the dog has to think about what will work to move them. The dog also has to have a good strong lift. All very good things in dogs who sometimes aren't thoughtful- though, I will say, Lucy has gotten so much more thoughtful- I think she is finally growing up! Anyway, the sheep were under a tree, and I sent Lucy. She came in nicely, and got them lifted, and then it was work work work for her to move them. They just didn't want to move a lot. So, she had to wear them- go from eye to eye of the outside sheep, and keeping them on line was HARD. I said nothing as she did this. The sheep weren't drawn to me either, so it was hard going. Lucy did get them to me though ;) I should have stopped there, but again, I am stupid... So, I did a few more of these fetches, and twice she got so frustrated at their non- moving ways, that she zipped around them- NO NO Lucy, can't do that. Then we ended with short fetches to under a tree, and that went well. This all taught Lucy that it ain't all fun and games when fetching sheep!

I also worked on some driving with Lucy, though she wasn't as good as last time- it was VERY hot, but she did pretty well, and is taking her downs, and starting to get her inside flanks better. We still have a ways to go, but I do believe she likes this driving stuff- because SHE is at the steering wheel :)

All in all it was good work, I never once had to lie her down at the lift, because she needed the walk in power. That's good. Fair to midland I would say, but not bad, for a day's work!

No comments: