Monday, September 8, 2008

Learning all the time

Worked Lucy again. This time we set it up so she pulled the sheep off someone. We hadn't done that in a long time. Though Lucy has done this a LOT, I just wanted to make sure we were "cool". I sorted out a motley crew of sheep to work- well, not really motley, but varied- a couple of retired ewes, and some lambs just to spice things up. I sent Lucy both ways. Each time she nicely picked up the sheep, and both times, the sheep split in two directions, so Lucy had to watch both sides, and cover as needed. The sheep did not run, we are getting used to this right Lucy? She did grrreat! One last time I sent her and had her pick up across the field. She came in nice, and then came the slow girls again. At one point she flanked a bit high on the group- but I think it was to get the eye of the lead sheep, so I said nothing. Sure enough, she got them moving, and there wasn't much stress on her part- this slow sheep thing takes some getting used to! I erred today, and was too hyped up in my voice- this elicited from Lucy tighter flanks, tighter outrun, and just plain not what she had been doing BAD BAD me!!!!!!!!! We will practice again soon, and I will NOT allow that to happen, or I swear I will hit myself with a ????

We didn't work too too much, and when I saw her eyes glaze over a bit toward the end (well, not really glaze over, but I can see when enough's enough) of our driving and flanking, we ended there. Lucy just simply never wants to leave her sheep. Talk about work ethic. It's not a crazy thing either, it's just a need to work for me, PLEASE!

We did one route around a "course" but, as my trainer so eloquently put- we will lose BIG time if I let her bump the sheep like she did. Just because these are plodding sheep, doesn't mean that the trial sheep will be- they WON'T! Got to keep her honest.

So, good work my Lucy Lou. I love you.

No comments: